Thread: ECU Repairs

ECU Repairs

Finally got my Beat back on the road after 3 months. Capacitors in the ECU had all blown, distributor was cracked and HT leads shot.

In case anyone is having ECU problems, my auto-electrical engineer desoldered all the componemts from the board, sent it for acid washing, then soldered on all new components, tested the board and got it working for less than £200, compared to the £400-500 you can pay for a new ECU.

Its now running like a dream If anyone wants his number, please let me know (Northants here).

Also, thanks to Steve M for "rescuing" the parcel of parts from the Post Office crusher!
    13s on the front, 14s on the back, and only one spare - it's all very Zen...

ECU

I'd be keen for an exchange that has been chipped!

Re: ECU Repairs

Originally posted by Beat-Nick
    Also, thanks to Steve M for "rescuing" the parcel of parts from the Post Office crusher!
    Glad it got sorted !!
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

I'm picking up my 1991 Beat in one week. It has approximately 36,000 miles (60,000km) on the clock. Should I go ahead and plan on replacing the capacitors in the ECU shortly after I take ownership of the car?

I'm familiar with the main relay fix - this is a common problem in 1988 - 1991 Civics, two of which I've had. I'll inspect this if/when I pull the ECU for repair.

Thanks!

Hi Again Dax

If your going to play with the ECU you might aswell chip it so you can go faster than the 80mph restricted limit.And get a few more Revs. Ive found doing this you still dont loose any of the 50+mpg.
    OnE DaY i WiLl gEt ThErE.......

Quote Originally Posted by ESSON View Post
    Hi Again Dax

If your going to play with the ECU you might aswell chip it so you can go faster than the 80mph restricted limit.And get a few more Revs. Ive found doing this you still dont loose any of the 50+mpg.
    I'm familiar with chipping ECU's - I had Hondata in my turbocharged Civic and did all my own solder work. Who sells the chip? Is it a 28-pin EPROM?

If everyone thinks I should replace the caps, I'll go ahead and chip the ECU if I can get my hands on a chip.

I was thinking today - why do the capacitors deteriorate? Is it due to heat? If so, has anyone thought of fitting a small electric fan (like for a computer, can be had at radio shack for a few dollars) to the cover of their ECU after replacing the caps to keep air circulating through? You could cut a small hole and bolt the fan to the sheet metal lid, and also some vents to let a cross flow occur.

When I had my turbochaged Civic, I was using Hondata for engine management. I mounted the box to the ECU cover, and passed the wires into the cover through a hole I drilled and fitted with a grommet. See:

The biggest problem I think is that the ecu is under a document box, behind the passenger seat.

You'd have to cut a hole in the thick (sound deadening) carpet and remove the document box, which would leave more holes in the carpet where the box was screwed on.

I dont think its just the amount of heat that kills the capacitors, they actually have a life span in usage and really are probably only designed for about an average life of about 10 years.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.