Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techie question MPG down

What's the test on the car?
    Neither of the sensors I've had fitted gave a fault through the ECU (until I started up with the sensor disconnected).

From what I've managed to find out on the net the sensor produces a voltage of between 0.1 and 0.9v from a comparison of O2 in the exhaust and in the air. (Some have heaters in order to get to work quicker, I take it the Beat has a heater)
    The voltage produced forms a signal to the ECU which adjusts the fuel pulse width according to the signal voltage. The fuel air mixture flicks between lean and rich giving a mean average of correct fueling.
    The sensor fails in 2 main ways:
    1. It gets coated with dirt from the exhaust gasses(particularly if the car is burning oil). This will tend to reduce the measured O2 in the exhaust so the ECU will reduce fuel giving an unrequired lean mix. This is hot and will damage the valves and cat as well as increase overall wear to the cylinder bore. I'm not sure how the Beat ECU reacts to this but apparently if the measured difference in O2 becomes TOO great (unrealistic) the ECU will read an error and disregard the signal giving an uncompensated, rich mixturre. (I guess this is a fail safe to prevent the above list of damage)

2. Over time the voltage produced drops off as the sensor ages. This gives the effect of sending an overall lean fuel signal to the ECU ALL the time. The ECU compensates by throwing in more fuel this increases the carbon buildup on the sensor, see note 1.

So eventually a fault will show up through the ECU BUT with one or two problems first! All in all this little sensor can, if not working right, cause all sorts of problems, many of which I've seen experienced on these boards. I guess the next question is how much are they and is there a special tool for getting them out?
    If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works

Very expensive ive heard! its possible that one from another car could suit... hopefully! there’s is a special tool for removal.. I bought it some time back.. Never used it and cant remember where I put it! I must have a look for it. If you have trouble finding one, you’re welcome to borrow mine!

Cheers michael,
    You're right on the expensive bit £250 won't include the postage
    Thanks for the offer of the loan (if you can find it ) I'll see what I can do but it depends on how tight the thing is. No rush though she seems to be working fine at the moment.

O2 Sensor

It might be worth buying a good fuel additive to try clean the sensor, if petrol is pasing through the exhaust valves then so will the cleaning additive. I will try it at the weekend and see if the petrol smell goes away.

erm im missing something what is 250 squids and and the socket for it is about a tenner from draper

It would appear from the parts manual that a replacement sensor is about 250 euro....

I paid 150 euro for something that costs 9100 yen (in the manual), the replacement sensor is quoted at 15500 (in the manual) which turns out to be 255 euro so im presuming thats where the figure came from...

The O2 socket is cheap alright, at the end of the day its only a socket, i found the issue not be the cost but rather finding where to get one, Dublin isn’t the best place to find little tools like that!

well i will double check tomorrow but im quite sure that after market sensor will do the job and these can be got from the motor factors at a cost of arround pounds 2,3, and 4 wire sensors i have fitted in the past make and model was never required just the number of wires weather the sensor was heated or not ....i will check in the morning and let you know tomorrow......

In all seriousness now what kinda MPG are you lot achieving? one of the reasons Im getitng one is because when I was a month or so ago I was sold on the fact that most of you lot got 40mpg+

Jen

PS drove my 1st beat this morning I still got a big grin!!
    Honda Beat for time to get away from stress and the big bad world.

Hi Jen,
    Well I'm now hovering on the 1/2 tank mark having done 195 km.
    That's 120 miles on "roughly" 2.5 gallons so 48mpg.
    I'll be putting the duff O2 sensor back on next week just to ensure it was that causing the problem but I'm pretty sure it was.
    Tim

sounding extremly good to me so far. Plus I remember someone saying it only cost £20 to fill up which is great
    Honda Beat for time to get away from stress and the big bad world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12