Thread: Cough on start-up!

Cough on start-up!

Hello Beaters!

Am a bit worried about Beepy who - while he seems to be running spryly and has just passed his mot - is making what can only be described as a sort of cough, a slight catching sound sometimes when i turn the ignition (normally first thing as opposed to when he's been running around a lot)

Anyone know what this is? Hoping it's not the dread-words 'cambelt' or something similarly serious as pay-day's a while away, and the weathers too damn nice not to drive!

Hi Tamsin Nunley
    can you describe any better whats happening?
    it could be some thing such as the auto choke kiking in when the car is cold or maby the Lamda probe in the exchaust sencing the wronge CO and thuse the car running rich.
    Have a look at the plugs probably you will find them Black !!

Thanks Jurek!

Not sure how to describe what's happening any better. It's like a catching sound, and not ever so obvious, really, but it's there. It sounds a bit harsh.

I don't know much about cars - but assume you are talking about checking the Sparkplugs?

Cheers for your help!

could it be the the starter sticking at the engaged position? (are beats bendix or pre engaded?)

Does it sound like you have left the key turned too long?

PW
    'Beatless for 4 years now

Sort of, yes!

The sound doesn't seem to kick in immediately either, and it sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine (nearer me than the rest of the noise is coming from)

Sticky startmotors... brings back memories of rocking my fiat panda from side-to-side every morning, and tapping all the wrong places with a hammer!

once its running, turn the key again and see if its the same noise (dont do it too much though!)

PW
    'Beatless for 4 years now

Sticky startmotors... brings back memories of rocking my fiat panda from side-to-side every morning, and tapping all the wrong places with a hammer!
    Sounds like a girlfriend of mine, she knocked seven shades out of the alternator , by the time I got there it was full of dents. Needless to say it was all my fault
    If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works