Thread: Electric Superchargers

Electric Superchargers

I can't remember who it was but someone mentioned an electric supercharger, well after a huge amount of effort on my part (I asked a mate at work) I think I've (he) found just the thing.

It's a fan & cowl with motor, which at 12v spins at 24500 rpm, there is a different motor than can be put on instead (cobalt magnets) that increases the specs. (I'm none too sure the Beat would need the bigger motor, the small one should give 2 to 3 psi boost.
    The cowl is a bit bigger than the existing induction pipe on the filter housing but should be fairly simple to fit.
    They are $27 and $30 apiece, plus postage but it's from the US and I haven't got a price yet.

Bearing in mind that fitting the cowl in the induction system, wiring and fitting the switch will be down to each individual, who is interested?
    http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/131401.asp
    http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/131480.asp
    If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works

the motor you are looking at are for 1/10 touring cars as im an rc nut in the off road field i have a little info of them .the armature on those motors needs lathed every 15 to 40 mins of run time as the performance drops off quite a lot the contacts get quite badly burned im not sure if this motor will suit what you are doing for this reason.contact a local hobbie shop and check to be sure but as far as i know these are short life motors ...

Hi Barkley,
    Which of the motors are you talking about, or is it both

10-15 mins is actually a fair bit of life for the intended use. ie 1 track day or for the odd couple of seconds burst on the road

Don't forget this has a similar effect to NOs in that you are chucking more O2 into the cylinder so you need to overfuel at the same time. The simple way to do this is to have the switch either under the pedal or on the throttle linkage so it only activates in full throttle applications.

There are brushless motors available as well but I havn't a clue, Can you see any or do you know of any other moors that would be suitable?

Try searching E bay under automotive for superchargers . There"s usually a firm in Germany with a string of items @ £99. Further info available from there.

i will talk to a guy today who is in to them see what he thinks will last

i can pretty much tell you that electrical supercharger does not work.

in order for a force induction to work, it will have to spin at a speed high enough to create force, i worked it out before, for a small fan to spin enough to creat pressure / boost it would require a very larger voltage to power it.

roughly around 24000rpm to creat 2psi !!

i would say dont waste your money on them ,

regards
    Peter
    Honda !!
    Performance Solution
    www.performance-solution.co.uk

I take your point ps and I doubt these would have any effect on the standard size engine. With the cobalt motor 3-5psi should be possible which is about half the pressure of a low blow turbo.

As for saving money, well if it doesn't work build a helecopter

well i spoke to the guy today the brushless motor is no good to you as it needs a processor to go with it the standard motor he reckons will do ok ,because there is no real load on it he thinks you should get about 5 hrs of run time with it before skimming is required which you can get done at any model shop for about a £5 if you dont have a mini lathe those motors can be got here in uk just swap the dollar sign for a pound one if you go to http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/ have a poke arround you will find what you are looking for and the site has a store locater for the nearest dealer to you .

lol i have 2 helecopters for sale if you want one

Yokomo rocks !!
    Honda !!
    Performance Solution
    www.performance-solution.co.uk

Going off thread but hey!
    Barkley are they electric or petrol and is either suitable for a novice buffoon (I'm not good enough to be a buffoon yet )

lol i have a pc sim with radio which was £100 a horobo xrb thetherless (no cord) electric indoor with radio it was £300 and a thunder tiger raptor 30 nitro powered with radio gear which was £600 i want 500 for the 3 items if sold together that gives you sim training electric flight and when your ready the big bird the big bird on its own i want 350 for it as im trying to stick to 1/8 off road buggys