Thread: Code 9

Code 9

I wonder if someone can help me. The engine light has been on for a while so I decided to check it out.

I got nine blinks which means that there is a problem with "No.1 CYLINDER POSITION (CYL SENSOR)".

My car is fine and I have been driving like that for the last 10,000 Km. Has anyone got an idea where this sensor is? What does it mean? Will anything break? etc..

Thanks

Hi Adam,

QUOTE "The engine light has been on for a while so I decided to check it out."

You really should check these things out when they happen, one day it will be a serious one...

Steve_M has recently replaced this on both his and my Beats,

Both of the replaced sensors had a fair bit of the resin melted out and splattere around the inside of the timing belt pulley.

His one (I think) didn't have any codes but mine also had the code 9 error showing (like you) in the fault reading but without the engine light showing...???

Replacing it is a bit of a job as it is located behind the timing belt pulley that is on the end of the camshaft.

If you are due a timing belt change in the near future then I would wait until then before you get it done as you have to remove the belt to do it anyway...

I'm not sure what this sensor actually does (apart fron know where Cyl 1 is...) as mine was running fine with the code stored and is running the same now it has been replaced but without the code...

Hope this helps

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

I need to get the timing belt changed. Thats another one of these things I was ment to do straight away but didn't.

The thing is need to know how much it will be before I give it away to the garage. I would do it myself but I don't have a garage.

Where do they write the timing belt milage on the beat? I looked and looked, but I can't see.

Thanks again,

Timing Belt

Hi Adam,

What Km is yours showing now, it's best to change them every 50k Km although the manual says every 100k Km.

It has been known for them not to last the 100k Km and a few quid spent on changing it saves a lot if you don't and it breaks...

When we (well Steve) did the timing belt on mine, it was bought as a kit rather than just the belt (Cheaper aparently, Steve??)

It came as the belt (obviously) and a new spring for use on the tensioner and a sticker to write the mileage on.

If the sticker is put in the recomended place then it goes near the fuel cap opener in the drivers door catch area

It isn't an easy job as you have to remove most of the exhaust and one of the engine mounts to be able to get to it. Also there are some holes on the engine bay (should have caps in them) that, when you remove certain bolts, you have to undo them into otherwise they can't come out.

If the caps are missing and you don't notice then you can drop them into the body (Can't you Steve...) and then you have fun trying to get them back out again...

Steve did mine for me in the Honda workshop so he had all the tools to do it, so it is best to leave it to an equiped garage if you don't have anywhere to do it in comfort yourself.

Hope this helps

Adrian

If the ignition timing is incorrectly set that can create TC 9 as well, as the relationships between the signal from the Crank angle sensor, the TDC sensor and the CYL sensor are incorrect.

So worth a timing check as well before diving in with new sensors (near £100 worth).

CYL sensor is located behind the camshaft pulley, so cambelt removal/replacement is required to replace that sensor.

There is a 2 pin connector for the CYL sensor (you can see the wire disapear down between the head and front engine mount.
    with the ignition off disconnect that plug and check on the sensor side between the two terminals and a reading of 700-1000 ohms. this checks the continuity of the sensor, as it is only a coil of wire.

HTH
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Thanks guys,

N sticker and the milage is at 86,000Km. Looks like the clock is ticking.

When my car was going for the national car test I pulled the bulb out engine light cause they could have failed it.

Myself and JohnD did the timing on the two beats this week so I will have to put it back in and check if its gone.

As a matter of interest how long does it take to change the belt. In labour time.

Any chance you would have the part number for the timing belt kit handy.

Thanks in advance,

Cambelt kit which inc. belt, tension spring and sticker is

06141-P36-306

HTH
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

My kit cost me 42 euro + VAT and took 3 days

HTH