Thread: My Beat is poorly!

My Beat is poorly!

Hi. I've had my Beat for just over a year now and she's been great, until now..... I refuelled at an Esso garage on my way to Weymouth at New Year, and immediately I had problems with 'juddering/hesitating' when I eased off the accelerator. Dodgy fuel I thought, so I ran the tank to empty, refuelled but the problem persisted. So I took her to my local Honda dealers (who have been very nice and not charged me for all the time that they have spent on her). They changed the rotor arm, distributor cap, HT leads, filters etc but to no avail, and then there was black stuff coming out of the exhaust. So I took her back, and six hours later they admitted that they didn't know what was wrong (yesterday). Since the car was still running (but not right), I thought that I would take her to a mechanic that my sister knows, but today the engine check light came on about a mile into my journey so I drove home. When I got out, the car smelled really hot. Tonight I moved her off the road and the engine check light did not come on.
    Any suggestions or advice would be really welcome. I don't even know whether its safe to drive her back to the dealers.......
    Yours gratefully in anticipation
    Scorch

The only thing I can think of (and i'm certainly no expert) maybe it's the ecu?

Sounds like the engine just can't combust properly, something somewhere isn't doing it's job!

Sorry I'm not much help, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Originally posted by Wh1teLeopard
    The only thing I can think of (and i'm certainly no expert) maybe it's the ecu?
    Could be a possability, one of the capacitors has popped. this can cause over fueling, excessive soot out exhaust.

do diagnostic check to see what the trouble code is.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Many thanks both of you. I'm off down to the dealers now with some printouts from the site. I'll let you know how I get on....

Many thanks to both of you. With some info from the site and a printout of your comments, the nice men at Cloverleaf Honda have managed to make my Beat better.
    There is still an minor issue with a juddering on on deceleration, but I'm much happier now.
    Cheers
    Scorch

glad you got it sorted

What was it Scorch, I take it not the ECU?
    If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works

The fault which caused the engine check light to come on related to the cylinder sensor, which the guys fixed. She is now running better than she has for a while, although the juddering persists albeit at a less alarming level. I'm still working on that....

Is the juddering not a fueling problem then?

Maybe your ecu cannot fuel properly because of something else, a sensor not working anymore or something not present?

I suggest that because if the ECU thinks there is too much fuel being put in when there isn't then it'll cut it down... or if it thinks there's not enough oxygen in the exhaust???

Can anyone elborate on that? It's probably not right, but it makes sense to a blonde! hee hee

It could be fueling or more likely an ignition problem (timing, weak spark, intermitent spark). When you say "which the guys fixed" did they renew something or did they adjust the timing?

If she revs through it's unlikely to be the timing and I would suspect the HT side may have a fault. Rotor arm or dizzy cap, HT leads it may simply be a case of needing new plugs. Of course just about ANY fualt on the engine could have a root in the ECU.

Where are you scorch, I've got a spare ECU and if you do the prep work to get access to the ECU we could meet up and try it out in a matter of minutes. I'm in Salisbury during the week.
    If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works

Sorry Tim, I've been stupidly busy this week and have neglected to log in. I think thats its a fuelling problem and could be as simple as some crud in the system somewhere. I had a chat with a mate who suggested that it could be something stuck in the carburettor (?) and that it all started after a refuelling stop isn't a coincidence. To be honest I haven't done anything about this week, but am planning to take it to see a mechanic who looks after my sister's many (very expensive) cars.

So thanks for the offer, but I guess you're not in Salisbury any more. I had the rotor arm, distributor cap, HT leads changed and that didn't cure it. I guess the next thing to look at is the fuel system, but then I'm ginger which is worse than blonde!

If I'm still at a loss after sibs mechanic has had a look, maybe I could drive down to Poole - i'm down in Weymouth reasonably regularly.

Cheers
    Scorch

ECU

I have just finished repairing an ECU I got off Steve Manser, it needs checking because the failing capacitors make a right mess of the PCB and also cause a slow fuelling problem which seems to have a link in melting number two exhaust valve!! The ECU off a spare engine which I purchased had been repaired and that had melted an exhaust valve also!!! Could there be a link between poor running and ECU melt down ??? Resulting in hot valves ??

Let me know your experiences!!!

Phil
    Beatproducts UK