Thread: Starting Problem

help Starting Problem

Hello all,

After several years of trouble-free motoring our Beat is now refusing to start (when cold).

The check-light lights up as usual when turning the ignition on and the whirring noise (fuel pump?) sounds the same. When turning the key further to start the starter motor seems to burst into life ok (though I can't be certain that it is trying to spin I suppose), but after this initial 'cough' nothing else happens - the engine doesn't turn over.

I haven't had the chance to delve any further yet (other than to check all fluids are ok), or check for any fault codes, but I wondered if anyone here more technically-minded had any thoughts as to possible causes. Not much to go on yet I know!

Thanks,

Andy.

My first suggestion would be to check your distributer.

When did your beat last have a service?

Talking Sorted

Thanks for your quick response White Leopard.

While you were typing, I was out tinkering around with Brhonda (Baby red honda ) and it turned out that there wasn't enough ooomph in the battery to turn the engine.

The battery was at 10V when tested, but that - combined with a loose battery lead - seems to have been enough to cause the problem. I'm surprised 10V wasn't enough though?

A jump start from our Vectra and a tightening up of the terminal connections and all is well again now - we've just been for a grin-inducing spin round South Yorkshire and North Notts to put some charge back in the battery

A good question regarding the service WL, I have all the basic service parts here (courtesy of Steve M about 18 months ago) but have yet to get around to doing it. I really need to arrange a timing-belt change now too. Thankfully the dizzy isn't in the 'dodgy' batch.

Thanks again,

Andy.

Glad it's sorted

Now service your beat or else hee hee!

Yep, mine does that too... I know, I know, I should drive it more but to be honest, lately I haven't bothered...

infact I wouldn't be suprised if mine is totally flat at the moment due to me needing the exhaust sorting and can't afford to do it till next month...

Then once that's done and it's mot'd again, it will probably be up for sale again due to me not using it very much...