• some of the time

7 15.22%
  • Never

17 36.96%
  • Theres a zip???

1 2.17%

Thread: Unzip or not to unzip?

Unzip or not to unzip?

Who here unzips their rear window before folding the hood?

Never....

But only because I can't see through the window already so it probably won't make any difference.

If/When I replace the window then I will be un-zipping it though, anything that keeps it clear will be worth it...

Adrian
    UKHBC No.59
    Ipswich

Yes, I always unzip before folding.

I've only had my Beat about two weeks and I didnt even realise until last weekend that that was what you were supposed to do!

But again as in Adrians mail - cant see out the rear window anyway.

I'm trying to get a replacement from Phil and as soon as I have a window I can see out it will be unzipped every time!

Cheers,
    Dave

Lightbulb

Un zipping is also the only real way of getting the engine cover off, with the rear screen out of the way.

Steve M

Broken Zip!!

i would....but it too much trouble as the metal bit at the start of the zip on the hood is broken! hope im not doing too much damage its only a new screen!

Unhappy

Hi John,

I would try and get it fixed if possible, especially as it's a new screen...

See if you can locate a local re-trimmers or simlar and see what they suggest... they might be able to fit a temporary/replacement new end on it for you. (or tidy up what you have so it's useable...)

Meanwhile, When you do fold the roof, make sure the screen folds in a nice curve without any creases in it, if it creases too much then it weakens it ready for a split later if done too often...

Hope this helps

Adrian
    UKHBC No.59
    Ipswich

I bought a new rear screen from Phil when I get my beat 3 years ago. For the first year I unzipped it every time and it has still gone cloudy. I bought some stuff to rub onto the screen which is meant to stop it going cloudy too from a classic car magazine but that doesnt seem to do much either.

So now I just fold it down if I am in a rush or unzip it if I'm going a long way

Its the same with the cover for the soft top. I only really put it on when I am going a long way, if I am just going short distance I dont bother.

I never do it either. Its too much hassle. If I was to do it everytime I think I might go mental
    I have a dream

CAN'T BE BOTHERED

I don't bother unzipping now unless for a show, placing a large Union Jack flag bath towel across the window (which I keep in the parcel shelf) before I open her up, no dust, no scratch, no problem and I don't have to sweat a bucket trying to get the damn zipper lined up again. Window is still crystal, but I have my secret methods of polishing it back anyway.

Oz

?

Which is???

Yeah, come on Oz.... do tell....

Now I have a new window in mine, I unzip it everytime the roof goes down but being able to keep it nice and clean would be a bonus...

I don't have the problem lining the zip up though, I just don't undo the end...lol

Adrian.

My secret???

Nothing majorly secret as such, I used to work as jewler in my younger days, we often had customers come in that had scratched their plastic or glass watch face with their diamond rings wanting to replace the glass. Of course the more expensive watches we recommended a saphire replacement, but for the likes of Swatches it wasn't worth it. So we used to polish out the plastic face and band with a product called Brasso, or Silvo over here its called Pikal. Maybe the Aussies will recognise the brand names not sure about the UK. I use it as you would normally on metal with a very fine cloth, bingo! clear windscreen. I have also had even better success with an extremely fine cutting compound available only to paintshops, grit would be well over 9800. At any rate try a corner of your screen before you commit to doing the whole screen if your not sure on the product. Silvo is finer than Brasso, but I haven't tried it as yet as I can't get it here, maybe Jason could give it a go... That's all! Now I gave you my trade secrets, how bout some tips on keeping the damn soft top black/clean without it running down the side of the car
    Oz

Rear Window

Thanks Oz. I would have tried it six months ago but I had the rear screen replaced. I do know someone here that may find it useful.

Excelent suggestion Oz,

I'll have to try and remember that one for when my new screen needs cleaning properly.

Not sure about the black off the hood though, Even my new one does it!!!!

Ta

Adrian.

I use Autoglym Fast Glass when ever mine starts to look cloudy.
    It seems to work quite well and you can use it on the other windows too!
    S8RAH

zipper end soloution

If your zipper end has broken off, but you still have the hole left use a keyring circlip thingy, mine has been like it for 4 yrs, and it works brilliantly, also if you get one with about 1" diameter it gives you a little more purchase on stubborn zips, use petroleum jelly where the zip rests to keep it lubricated.
    As for rear screen cleaner, I have found this product to be brilliant (pardon the pun, AND its cheaper than the others on the market;
    http://www.tasc-auto.co.uk/moreinfo...._id=3&offset=0
    Happy motoring fellow beaters!!!
    Last edited by JSL; 09-10-2010 at 06:39 AM.

I'm in London on a visit and I'll look around for Screen Genie, but I did try Pikal and it worked pretty well. The screen just seems to absorb some of the dust that comes with rainwater and might need cleaning more often than we think.

As for the original question - after doing it every time for the first month I stopped and now I never fold! Getting that zip started is incredibly awkward, even with a big keyring attached. The suggestion of a rolled-up towel is something I will try, since I like to keep a towel in the car anyway.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.