Thread: Replacement engine??

Replacement engine??

Bit of a long shot, I know, but the cam belt in my Beat went yesterday, wrecking the whole engine..

Honda garage have told me it's over a grand to fix it, so just exploring other options, such as putting a replacement engine in it or something.

Anyone got any ideas, or am I just going to have to sell it for spares?

Thanks in advance..

Do you know exactly whats damaged? bent valves only or has it damaged pistons as well.

If just valves worth rebuilding. also worth a complete strip to check bottom end as well, no point in putting back together if bearing are worn.

Although you will be looking at a hefty bill, especially if your paying a Honda dealer to do the work.

I think you will find it hard to find a replacement engine. You may be lucky but may have to wait a long time.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

OK - thats kinda what I thought. I'll take it to another (non-honda) garage to have a look at, see if could do it at a decent cost.

Thanks for your help.
    Ta
    Rob

Hi Rob

I have just rebuilt a 1992 beat on a friends car that the cambelt broke and it bent the valves but did'nt damage the pistons or the valve giudes.
    The parts from my local Honda dealer in Norwich were £670incl vat for a set of valves,head gasket set,head bolts,cambelt and tensioner wheel all the parts turned up in 2 days.
    We did think of a engine but it ended up a real struggle finding one.

Hope this helps
    Andy

Oh yeh i forgot to add that even though getting the engine was a problem everyone seemed to be quoting around the £400-500 mark

Smile

Hi Rob

Don't know how your getting on with the engine but try a guy at nippon auto spares called Matt on 01332293393
    I tried him for a engine for my friends car before i decided to rebuild it,he phoned me a week ago saying he had managed to get a car in Japan he maybe able to help.
    Andy

If it turns out that you need a bottom end i have one complete, i may also have a few valves. Drop me a PM if interested

Cheers
    "I don't need power, It is all about balance. If I have more balance, then I don't need the power" Katsuhiro Ueo Champion Drifter

OK thanks for your advise everyone..
    The Beat is still with a mechanic friend of mine, who should be letting me know what is going on tomorrow (hopefully...). I'll keep you posted.

thanks again
    Rob