Thread: Speed limiter

Speed limiter

I'm not sure but aren't jap imports supposed to have the speed limiter removed before regestering for UK use.

Mine still has a limiter (87mph @ 7500rpm). Does anyone know where the limiter is and how to remove it?

James

Hi James

I don't know but if i had to make a guess i would guess at a signal from the speedo going to the fuel injection ECU .

Andy

My Beat has a black box connected to the ECU with various wires. Its labelled "speed limit defencer 180". I presume it "adjusts" the signal going to the ECU to fool it into thinking the car is going slower than it is.

The limiter mechanism is programmed into the ECU in one of the 5 MAPS that drive it. To get around it requires

a) reflashing of those ECU's fitted with a ROM chip
    b) Chipping the whole ECU (ask Adrian perhaps)
    c) purchasing an external delimiter (HKS one from a UK mob too I think)

They are all still available, but since the 'heyday' of the Beat in Japan has all but past, they are getting a little hard too find as these companies slowly dissappear or stop production etc..

The above options are entirely dependant on the type of ECU you have installed by the way, but it is not impossible, just a PITA

Hope this helps

Cheers

Oz