Thread: DIY Stripey Mats

DIY Stripey Mats

These were about 18 months old when the photo was taken and had faded a little. The passenger's has been recoloured. They are based on grey hessian backed carpet (a neighbour was chucking it out) cut to shape and bound round the edges with black wool, hand sewn. This took ages so you may prefer to get it done by an upholsterer. The stripes are drawn in by hand using permanent black ink markers (felt tipped). This has to be well worked into the pile and you can expect to use 3 or 4 pens per mat and take an hour or two. The pile is trimmed to enable the badge to be sewn in neatly. I have added a non original heel mat to the drivers side for protection. An eyelet is fitted near the rear edge so it can be hooked back. I prefer to anchor both sides but as standard this is only fitted to the driver's mat. Finally several coats of PVA adhesive were painted on the back. This waterproofs it and stiffens it up.
    To make the badge I photographed an original, resized the image (it should be 4 inches wide), printed it out on cheap paper and used carbon paper to transfer the outline to a piece of stiff canvas painted green. The lettering etc is then drawn on using 3D paint.
    To stop the mat(s) sliding forward a locating peg is needed. This comprises a piece of sheet metal about 1.5" x2.5" with a bolt held by two nuts at one end . It is attached to the ridge across the floor under the front edge of the seat(s).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141@640.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	1277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142@640.JPG 
Views:	394 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	1278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	143@640.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	1279  

hmmmm..........don’t know if i agree with the permanent market bit. I almost positive that if you got wet shoes and rub then on the mats they are going to create nice big smudge marks
    You Can't Beat The BEAT!

I think they're very cool. Good on you for putting the effort in

Quote Originally Posted by HBEAT View Post
    hmmmm..........don’t know if i agree with the permanent market bit. I almost positive that if you got wet shoes and rub then on the mats they are going to create nice big smudge marks
    Use pens marked waterproof and test on an offcut first. I've been using this set since Jan 2005 with no problems.

Nice work fella.

Ok.......... i just thought maybe the permanent markers would still smudge, but if u have had it since then without a problem then thats good. Thanks for that info
    You Can't Beat The BEAT!