Thread: Fog Light

Fog Light

In the previous thread one of the things Mylee was asking about was the Fog light (Hi-Vis rear light). Nobody answered that one. What is the best way of fitting one. I currently have a bit of a kluge using one of the reversing lights. What is the best way of fitting a fog light?
    I love the smell of Nitrox in the morning !

1992 Beat
    2000 Seicento Sporting
    2000 Landrover Freelander to tow them home with

Jurek wired up one of his reverse lights, replacing the bulb with a red bulb as a fog light.

I had a trailer light styled one bolted to the bottom of my bumper where the heat sheild is bolted to the rear bumper.

Now I have a LED light from a bicycle glued in place. I think it was glued on using window sealant. That was nearly 2 years ago. It's in the recesses of the rear bumper, drivers side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRIM0165.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	1293  

Quote Originally Posted by Wh1teLeopard View Post
    Now I have a LED light from a bicycle glued in place.

And this passes an MOT test?

Twice now

Is it wired to your dash then? I thought you had to have an illumunated switch/ indication light to show it was on. And it should only come on with your sidelights. Are you using a bank of resistors to run it on 12V? Nice install thou'!

I think i'm gonna go with an LED brake light in the rear grilles or use one of the reversing lights as previously mentioned.

I had front fog lights as standard on mine, and there was already an illuminated switch wired to the front fog switch when I had it.

So basically if you turn the front fog lights on the side lights come on (as standard) then you can only turn the back fog light on if the front fog lights are on.

So I do have an illuminated switch that can only work when the front fogs and sidelights are on.

With reference to resistors, yes, basically. Wired up where the batteries would fit, resistors in the line, wired into the exsisting power line.

If you want to know more, I can ask my dad to explain it as he did it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wh1teLeopard View Post
    I had front fog lights as standard on mine, and there was already an illuminated switch wired to the front fog switch when I had it.

So basically if you turn the front fog lights on the side lights come on (as standard) then you can only turn the back fog light on if the front fog lights are on.

So I do have an illuminated switch that can only work when the front fogs and sidelights are on.

With reference to resistors, yes, basically. Wired up where the batteries would fit, resistors in the line, wired into the exsisting power line.

If you want to know more, I can ask my dad to explain it as he did it lol

Thanks! that makes a bit more sense now! Mine doesn't have front fogs so I'm gonna have to fit a switch.

What you could do is locate the wire for your side lights, then run a wire from that, put an illuminated switch on that line, put the rear fog on that.

That way the fog light wouldn't get power unless the switch AND side lights were on.

Think I'm gonna add a relay as well. Shouldn't be to much of a hassel, I'm more concerned that the light isn't of the Ugly variety!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brucebp View Post
    In the previous thread one of the things Mylee was asking about was the Fog light (Hi-Vis rear light). Nobody answered that one. What is the best way of fitting one. I currently have a bit of a kluge using one of the reversing lights. What is the best way of fitting a fog light?
    Hi,
    I have just done mine. If you look at the vents in the back bumper there is enough room to fit a fog light to the steel plate behind the bumper so that it shows through the bottom vent hole (or both sides if you prefer).I have put the switch next to the front foglight switch. Just buy a remote type foglight from an accessory shop, take the bracket off and bolt through the back onto the plate.It's only a 5 minute job to take the back bumper off, just mark the position of the vent hole before removing the bumper.
    Tony,

Space behind bumper

I dont seem to have any space behind mine, have you got any photographs?
    if so I thinkthis one deserves to go on the how to do it thread.

Bruce
    I love the smell of Nitrox in the morning !

1992 Beat
    2000 Seicento Sporting
    2000 Landrover Freelander to tow them home with

Change of plan for me. I'm going to use the off side reverse light as previously discussed here.

Foglight

Quote Originally Posted by brucebp View Post
    I dont seem to have any space behind mine, have you got any photographs?
    if so I thinkthis one deserves to go on the how to do it thread.

Bruce
    Hi,
    Sorry I don't have a photograph at the moment. If you look in the bottom of the two vent holes you will see that the underside of the dividing piece is cut out, there is room there to fit a remote fog light if you remove the mounting bracket and bolt through the plastic back. I will take a photo when I get back home on Tuesday and get my son to post it on here,(I'm not all that computer literate). I'm hoping to get the Baby tested then and I'll be able to drive it for the first time on the road! It still has a temporary import plate on at the moment.
    Tony.