Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sad day

Heard from the insurance this morning, it's a total loss Just waiting for the engineer to ring with some info and their rediculous offer

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>
    >>>gone, but not forgotten<<<

I'm so sorry to hear that

really hope you manage to find a way to sort this mylee.

Don't accept their first offer!

Hi Mylee,

I've just seen your story for the first time -soory to hear about the accident, but glad you're ok.

I had a total loss back in 2002 (see www.skidmarks.co.uk) and the insurers offered me £2,500, which I politely declined, the value at the time being up to £4,500.

Within a couple of days, they came back with £3,500! I went to the autotrader site and printed out all the ads for top-price Beats (all the £4,999 trade hopefuls) and faxed them over. Their 'final' offer came back at £4,200, which I accepted, less the £50 excess.

I then asked to keep the wreck, which they wanted about £600 for. Bought another, poor condition Beat for just over 2 grand, took the best bits from each, got it tickled up and re-sprayed, then sold the remains. Ended up about even. Still a very happy beat owner.

I hope that inspires you to be tough with the insurers. Good luck!

-Jc.

*****UPDATE*****

Insurance Engineer has just rung, and I must say what a breath of fresh air. A very knowledgable chap who'd obviously done his Honda Beat homework!
    The car isn't a 'write off' it is an 'uneconomical repair' as his estimate comes in at approx £2900.
    He has suggusted that I consider a 'cash in lou' payment for repairs. Basically they pay me £2000 to effect the repairs myself. He is happy that the car is repairable and doesn't need to inform the DVLA to have a catorgory added to the log book. If I refuse the car will be sent for salvage and he estimated it's value between £3750 and £4000!

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>

That's a least some good news for you

Hiya,
    Sorry to hear of your RTA.. main thing is you're OK... when dealing with the insurance remember if it is considered a total loss you are made an initial offer from an assessor and an offer that is negotiable, so negotaite, you may also need to do some research to prove your case if the offer is too low. The general policy of insurance companies lately is not to allow total loss vehicles to be "bought back".....good luck

Nick
    A true sports car should be designed so that when you sit in it you can put your arm over the side and touch your knuckles on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylee View Post
    He has suggusted that I consider a 'cash in lou' payment for repairs. Basically they pay me £2000 to effect the repairs myself. He is happy that the car is repairable and doesn't need to inform the DVLA to have a catorgory added to the log book.
    That does not sound a bad option, if your happy to do some tinkering with the repairs yourself.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Well things are progressing, I've located a rolling chassis minus the engine for a good price ( thanks Tado! ) so I have a donor car for all my spares. I'll be taking all the bits I need to get roadworthy again and then the rest will be up for grabs. I'll be posting any available parts on here. Let me know if there's anything specific you need, as when I'm done I'll be disposing of whats left due to lack of storage space

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>

great stuff mylee. any interesting goodies on the donor car?

The interior is totally different, not sure about anything else, but you'll be first to know!

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>

hey thats great news good to hear!!
    Honda Beat for time to get away from stress and the big bad world.

Sad Day

Hi Mylee, Have you seen the rear damaged Beat on EBay?All the bits you need for £995 ono! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.Yorkshireman.

Yeah I had seen that thanks Yorkie, tbh I think it's overpriced.
    Not a problem as I've sorted myself a donar car, but thanks again.

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12