Thread: South Australian Number Plate Size

Unhappy South Australian Number Plate Size

I've finally got around to registering my car in South Australia (it originally had Victorian plates on it).

The number plates in South Australia are given to us by the SA Transport Authority and the size is the typical car number plate size.

Unfortunately they don't fit in the recesses that are in the Beat bumpers. I could bend the front one and get it in but the back has no hope.

I spoke to the SA Transport Authority and asked for smaller plates or square ones as the beat I owned in England had square plates and they said "square plates will cost $170 A YEAR" ....

How does that work! They only make them once!

They pointed me at this web site that seems to back up what they say http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/ezyplates/.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Can any of the South Aussie beat owners let me know what they have done?
    I saw a red one in Port Adelaide last week

Thanks
    Last edited by CharlieBrown; 23-09-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

I would be cheeky and cut their plate in half, stick it to something else and fit it that way...

Although I somehow don't think they would appreciate that...

It does seem daft, hopefully you might be able to talk to an owner of another type of import car that has square(ish) plates and see what they do?

Ady.

I went with a premium (but not personalised) registration number - there's a once-off fee for that ($140), but the ongoing cost of registration is as normal. I got the slim front and standard rear plates, then trimmed the rear one with tinsnips (!) until it fit. I probably took of about 5 to 10 mm on each side. Looks a bit rough up close but from a distance it's fine.

It looks like you also have the option of a 300mm x 150mm "square" rear plate with a premium number. I went with the standard one because they had them in stock & I wanted to drive the car ASAP.