Thread: Who has actually changed the timing belt...

Who has actually changed the timing belt...

Just curious, who here has actually changed the timing belt themselves. The reason I ask, how did you do it? I was hoping to find advice from someone who has actually turned the wrench and did the job themselves that could offer some advice...

Did you drop the motor?
    Did you tip it on its side?
    Did you do it from underneath/with a car hoist and leave the motor installed?

How long did it take? Was it a PITA?

Other than the FSM that is in Japanese, is there any other literature or step by step showing how to do this???

I'm going to bring mine to a mechanic to do (its a little beyond my level) and I'm scared that if they go at it without a manual, they will either take 20+hours to do it, or screw something up or perhaps both

No one in my town has ever seen a honda beat, let alone fixed one before, so I'm not to sure how they are going to go about fixing the car without a FSM. Is this no different that working on a honda civic (minus the engine is in the rear) in terms of alternator, timing belt, water pump, ext?

Thanks all, this forum has been great so far!!!

ive not done it myself, but my mechanic friend found this article quite helpful as it has pics (albeit small ones!) - it is in japanese but its nice to have alternative images to back up to the manual as well:
    http://216.239.59.100/translate_c?hl...U_vq_4lkOQkP1A

that said there's plenty folk on here who have done it so maybe they have some pics?
    Last edited by TADO; 16-02-2009 at 10:19 AM.

I’m in the middle of a cam belt change at the moment!!
    I put the car up on a 2 post ramp, put a hydraulic prop underneath the sump, undun everything including the cradle, and then lowered the engine complete with gearbox and clutch.
    It took me and a mate about 4 hours!!

My mechanic didn't drop the engine, but does have a two post lift.
    He was in the same situation having never seen or worked on a Beat before.
    Only comment he made was 'it's was a bit tight for my big hands!'
    Like I said before, he changed every belt, filter and fluid and the cost was very very reasonable.

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>
    >>>gone, but not forgotten<<<

Actually, thinking about it, I have a simple walk through guide with some diagrams (in English!) that I saved in word format.
    I think I got it from Steve's Beat Website, although the site doesn't seem to be working now.
    Drop me your email addy and I'll send it over to you.

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>
    >>>gone, but not forgotten<<<

No need to take the engine out.

Ive done it on ramp and on the floor.

No real problems, its a bit tight down the side of the engine/chassis.

You do remove the L/H side engine mount so you do need to support the engine with either jack or stand.

Mainly an issue geting the cover off/back on. its a case of rotating it as it comes out to avoid other parts.

One of the other items that can be a real pain is getting the crankshaft pulley undone, ther is a special Honda tool to hold the pulley/crank which you undo the bolt (its normal thread, not LH) can be very tight, you think you are going to turn the car over.

Even with the handbrake on/engine ingear the clutch will just normally slip.

If you have access to air impact wrench that can sometime shock it loose, but as I say normally best with special tool.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

i have done it almost myself, i asked a friend of mine to check my work
    before i put everething back together.
    You have too look twice wheter the wheels and roller are in the right position that's realy all.
    i had never done it before and my car only did about 3000 km when i replaced it.
    But in all the years, the car is from 1992 the belt was never changed so i did it to be safe.
    The big problem is that the space around the engine is verry narrow and you will need some small tools in some places to get the bolt loose.

just put the car on 2 ramps and a hydrolic jack under the engine.
    the dutch beat driver

honda s800 coupe 1967
    honda n600 1968
    honda n600 hondamatic 1970
    honda z coupe 1972
    honda civic mk1 1200 3d 1978
    honda civic mk3 1500gl 3d 1985
    honda acty panel van 1979
    honda beat yellow 1992

(renault master camper)

Could you please copy to me the cam belt replacement guide with diagrams that you recently offered to unclejemima.E-mail addy is lowry.stephen1@gmail.com -I will be most grateful if you can oblige. hobeet.

belts, frt seal, waterpump, about 5 hrs on a lift.

Hi, Tim here- do you still have the cambelt change guide? I'd love a copy, if you could email it to me at eyuptim@gmail.com, I'd be so grateful. Kindest regards of the season, Tim.

FanTASTIC Google "translation" from the Japanese- try it!! Tim.

Waikanae, 60kms north of Wellington, New Zealand

Smile Timing Belt Change - Info Requested

Hi from New Zealand,
    This is on behalf of my computer-illiterate friend and his 1992 Beat. He would like information on changing the timing belt. I see that over the last few years there has been some discussion on tis subject, including talk of a document with helpful pictures and data. Is there anyone who could let me have a copy of this document? We would be most appreciative. My email address is stevensonds@clear.net.nz.
    Thank you very much,
    Scott

Cam Belt

HONDACars in Christchurch changed the belt on my Beat. It cost around $800.oo if that is any help.
    david@artisanlace.co.nz

Hi Scott,

I have a good friend who is a mechanic who is based in Pukarua Bay. She does all the servicing on my Beat and has changed the CAM belt so will be one of the few over here who know the car well

Let me know if you'd like her details.

It took me about 5 hours with a two post lift and a trolley jack. Make sure you have a good set of flexi ratchet spanner, preferably some of the long ones, as things are extremely tight next to the engine. The biggest problem I had was removing a long bolt from the middle of the timing cover which actually slides into a hole in the box section on the side of the engine bay. I used an impact wrench for the bottom pulley which whipped it off in no time! It's not a technically difficult job but it is going to given you a few scraped knuckles!

I'd love a copy of this word document, (my email is oxenreiter@yahoo.com) it would really be a huge help! Cheers!

Have recently done this job,
    In hind sight not to bad at all

I'll be doing my two in the new year think I'll be dropping engines anyway to swap gearboxes

I made a detailed Step-By-Step guide that I posted here - should help anyone who wants to do the job!

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthr...-By-Step-Guide

Joshua
    WatchmanPP1
    '81 Honda CM200T
    '89 CA6 Accord Coupe
    '91 Beat PP1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BeatPP1USOC/