Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Annual beat meet - KKITP

Have just re-joined the site. Dragged the Beat out of the garage for the first time since MOT last Sunday - took it to Welwyn and back from Edinburgh - so have the range or the Sep 20th gig. Wife bought the Beat in 93, in Japan. We brought it back in a container in 2002. How many in the UK now? 50+?

Would be good to meet you zippy

Zippy, are you in Edinburgh? I am, it would be good to meet and talk Beat!

Tom
    The Beat goes on ......

I was trying to borrow an A frame to tow my Beat down but have been told that it is illegal and getting a trailer might be more of a challenge but I am still hoping to be there, with or without Beat!

Tom

PS Anyone want some standard wheels - free. I can bring them with me.
    The Beat goes on ......

Hope you can bring your beat down, with mine still off the road we need all the support we can get hehe

Bumbly. You should be fine towing the Beat with an A frame. Your Beat will effectively become a trailer so shouldn't exceed 750kgs as this is the max for an unbraked trailer.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...es/DG_10013073

According to carfolio the Beats kerb weight is 760 kgs.

http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio...car/?car=13343

Kerb weight explained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight

If the rozzers were to go to the trouble (which I doubt they would) of prsecuting you over 10kgs. Just make sure the tank is empty as the kerb weight is calculated with a full tank.

I've been using A frames for the last 10 years and the majority of the time have more than any 750kgs in tow. Never been pulled. No copper in their right mind will give you a tug with something as small as a Beat in tow.

Beardo, thanks for your comprehensive response! I was guided to this in another forum http://www.ntta.co.uk/faq/default.htm which seems to say it is not legal but there again a Seicento is heavier than a Beat!

Confused of Edinburgh aka Tom
    Last edited by Bumbly1; 07-09-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    The Beat goes on ......

The law certainly needs clarification as it is unnecessarily overcomplicated. A few searchs show that a Beats kerb weight and GVW are the same. 760 kgs. Another over complication. Just give us one weight for each car for christs sake.

Anyway. I think a Beat on an A frame is fine as long as the tow car is capable. There's a good chance that I will be towing ours on a frame.

Beardo, my towcar is this

so I should be okay, it is about 2000 kgs. I think I have now sourced an A frame so looking good as they say. Should have my new seat covers by then too. Are you going to be able to make it?

Tom
    Last edited by Bumbly1; 07-09-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Additional nonsense
    The Beat goes on ......

I don't see any problem towing with that. We still plan to be there and nothing so far has cropped up to prevent us as yet.

Glad to hear it Mark

Using a trailer now so I will be there.

Tom
    The Beat goes on ......

I'll most likely be dragging ours also.

Have fun everybody

I would love to go, unfortunately I am still waiting for news of parts arriving from Japan.

have a nice day you lot...first one i've missed since TOM'Y arrived

off tonight to Dover for a 4am ferry & hopefully this time thur will be sitting outside knocking back the biere & vino's.

be back on here, oooh.. let's see..Oct4th ish onwards at earliest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Schooner View Post
    I would love to go, unfortunately I am still waiting for news of parts arriving from Japan.
    Are you not getting my emails? Check your filters as I sent you one a couple of days ago and before I went on holiday.

Yes, got them, I'll stop feeling sorry for myself now, I know it will all turn out OK in the end.

Am almost tempted to drive down to this, would love to see the other cars, might come along and take some pictures/video.

Good event, thanks to Emily for organising it and the weather! Good to put some faces to the names.

Tom
    The Beat goes on ......

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbly1 View Post
    Good event, thanks to Emily for organising it and the weather! Good to put some faces to the names.

Tom

Good to meet you Tom. Respect for making it down all the way from Scottyland.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12