Thread: CHECK Light permanently on

CHECK Light permanently on

Hi everybody,
    I have recently acquired a Beat and joined this incredibly helpful website. Completely seduced by its body I did not notice that the "check" light stays on when running the car, which appears to be running normally.
    I have carried out the diagnostic test and the light does not blink, i.e. ECU failure. I am going to replace the capacitors...is there anything else I should try?
    If I am not successfull in the repair, has anyone got a functioning ECU for sale, or can anyone suggest the best (cheapest) way to obtain one?

Robert

I had the same thing on mine when i rebuilt the engine, it turned out i just had a loose earth wire on top of the engine. For some reason theres 2 comeing off the same plate on the top but you do need both. My speedo whent funny with the one on and the other half tightened up. Also you could try the cars self diognostic thing;
    http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=1448 Good luck!!!

Hi professor,
    Thank you for your helpful comments. I am encouraged by your experience of faulty earths as my feelings gravitate towards this item. Especially today, after having chased a wiring fault (side lights "on" normally but "off" with "Beam"_ a blown 15 A headlamp fuse, by the way), I now finf that the "check" light sometimes goes off perfectly, sometimes glows faint and sometimes stays on as previously. I shall now change the capacitors and check/clean all the earthing points as shown on the manual. Also, as the engine starts OK, the choke works fine, the CO of the exhaust is OK and the car runs fine, if the light persists I think I will live with it. After all. the quest for perfection is the quickest route to a mental breakdown.
    Roberto

Que me quiten lo bailao