Thread: rattle from 3000-3500rpm...VERY annoying!

rattle from 3000-3500rpm...VERY annoying!

Right around 3000-3500rpm there is an annoying rattling coming from the engine bay/back of the car. It is only under load, typically in a higher gear (aka, 4th gear at 3000rpm). As soon as you cross 3500rpm, the sound is gone! You can not hear anything when rev'ing the engine when the car is still, it has to have a bit of load on it.
    Seems to be the harmonics/vibrations at those rpm are making something rattle. Sounds like a loose bolt or something?
    I've tried the easy stuff like the rear license plate, the exhaust shield, trunk support, ext.
    Any idea's???
    Thanks!
    -mark

Probably the springs in the clutch centre plate. Quite a common noise.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    Probably the springs in the clutch centre plate. Quite a common noise.
    Makes sense. Is this hard to fix?

we swapped our clutch and release bearing when we did the engine rebuild and the noise went away.
    i happen to have a brand new centre plate sat here as well if you decide to do it

Ours has always done it unclejemima.

Fortunately we're not bothered by it (although obviously would prefer that it didn't) so we're happy for it to wait until the clutch needs attention.

Ours does it as does the red one I have just sold. Not really an issue for us as we are usually above 4000 revs.

Cool! Thanks guys! I will probably wait until the clutch needs replacing to fix the rattle.

Does anyone have a link to a "how to" for the clutch change? Is it a big job? 4-5hrs? Just wondering if the mechanic will need special instruction like he did with the timing belt?