Thread: Find 'em and Grind 'em

Find 'em and Grind 'em

First to second shift at high rpm (8000'ish) can cause a small grind that is making me scared to shift at high rpm. I can do deliberate slow shifts, or fast shifts, but every 10 shifts of so from 1st to 2nd gear will grind. Its not a grind that prevents it from going in gear, just makes a horrible noise during the shift...almost like the clutch is not pushed in all the way.

Clutch fluid looks good (not really to sure what I'm looking for, but the level is full in the clutch fluid reservoir)

The trans. fluid is original from 1991, car has 40,000km on it. Should I replace the tran. fluid? ATF synthetic is best, not 10W30, right?

Should I have the clutch fluid changed/bled? What else can I do to help? Trans. Shifts butter smooth otherwise.

Thank kindly,

Quite Common on any Honda Gearbox 2nd gear synchro worn, allows the gear to engage even thou the shafts have not slowed.

Its going to be a gearbox strip and replace the synchro hub/cones for a definate fix.

Not a cheap job. £269.91 for the 1st/2nd Synchro

You may get some relief by doing an oil change, but dont be surprised if it has no effect.
    Last edited by Steve_M; 20-07-2009 at 09:08 PM.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Thanks Steve. Any suggestion on the type of fluid to use fro the trans oil?

I've also heard that the hydraulic clutch can be an issue as well. Should I bleed the line, or this is probably not an issue?

I've heard that once you rebuild a transmission, its never the same (in terms of shift quality) Would replacing the syncro on the 1/2 syncro be a safe job to be done by a mechanic who has never worked on a beat? (would I be happy with the shift quality when done?)

Would it be much extra work to go and do 3/4/5 gear syncro's as well, or should I just do 1/2?

Thanks kindly as always!

Honda MTF2 gearbox oil is recommended.

You can try a Clutch fluid change, but I would expect problems going into 1st/Reverse with a clutch problem. Noise/crunch into 2nd as I say is quite common in many Honda Manual gearboxes.

Its not much extra work to replace all synchro in gearbox, Its just the expense of them that will make you smart.

A beat gearbox is no differant from any other Honda Manual gearbox, its just a little bit smaller
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

[QUOTE=Steve_M;17491]

Thanks Steve!

I've heard that General Motors has a product called SynchroMesh Friction Modified Tranny Fluid

Its supposed to be great stuff, even better than the Honda MTF2 so some honda forums are claiming.

Has anyone tried this?

Second that...

Anyone ever used this stuff...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...ttle_front.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n.../backlabel.jpg

Its from Honda and supposed to be the same as the GM Syncromesh.

As many of the shifts are okay then I would suggest bleeding the clutch might be a first step. The intermittant nature of it doesn't suggest worn synchros to me but air in the clutch system could exhibit these symptoms. The system can of course have air in it even if the resevoir is full. It may also be worth a visual check of the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder to see if there is a wee dribble of fluid round them, it only takes a very small quanitity of air to upset the action.

Tom
    Last edited by Bumbly1; 13-08-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    The Beat goes on ......

That Oil is only available in the US.

The only genuine Honda MTF oil in UK, is available to dealers in a 25 litre container via Honda Part number. (It may be similiar to this US oil)

It is very difficult to have an Oil that is used in US available in the UK due to the Health/safety regs and EU laws.

To be honest the only long term cure is Syncro replacement.

Tamsin Nunley had a 1st/2nd syncro for her car and did not fit it, But im bot sure if she gave it away to the buyer of her car when she sold, may be worth a message.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    Second that...

Anyone ever used this stuff...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...ttle_front.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n.../backlabel.jpg

Its from Honda and supposed to be the same as the GM Syncromesh.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Thanks all... and Steve, I sent a message to Tamsin Nunley to see if she still has the syncro's

Just curious what sort of clutch fluid I should use. I'm assuming regular brake fluid will work just fine...? or is there special "clutch fluid"?

Please let me know as I plan on bleeding the lines tomorrow

Oh, and Steve, do you know how many Liters of oil go in the transmission?

Take care,
    Last edited by unclejemima; 14-08-2009 at 05:11 AM.

DOT 3 or 4 Brake fluid for clutch.

1.3 litres of transmission oil fro oil change.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    DOT 3 or 4 Brake fluid for clutch.

1.3 litres of transmission oil fro oil change.
    You are good Steve!!!

^^^I've had similar issues and this has been very helpfull! Thanks Guys!

I had a 1st to 2nd synchro problem when I first got my beat, it would grind during fast gear change at low engine temp. Got the gearbox oil changed at a honda dealer and it's been perfect ever since. Not sure exactly what oil they use though.