Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyres. Again.

I have an original drivers handbook which lists tyres as 155/65R13 73H and 165/60R14 74H. Unless the law where you live states otherwise I imagine any tyre which matches or exceeds this spec will be OK. I doubt if an insurer would be concerned unless a claim arose from the failure of a poor quality tyre. We should also remember that the Beat was designed best part of 20 years ago. Tyre technology has changed a lot since then and as a result the characteristics of a modern tyre may be notably different from a similarly designated one from that time.

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceHarding View Post
    155/65R13 73H and 165/60R14 74H.

Theres the problem for tyres available in the UK.
    You can only get an underrated 'T' rated, even thou they do meet the 73 load rating.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Here's what the DfT have to say on the matter.

"The British regulations require that the tyres must be capable of being used at the maximum speed the vehicle is permitted to travel at, ie 70mph."

"All imported tyres which are to be offered for sale or supply through normal retail outlets must carry either an ‘e’ or ‘E’ approval mark."

Interpret that however you like. I'm now happy to use non 'E' marked tyres on UK roads and T rated are fine legally if thats what you use.

The department of transport is likely to have a different view from insurers. Their reply above seems to indicate to me that any car in UK could use a T rated tyre as the national limit is 70mph. This infers that no-one exceeds that limit and insurers know they do and are perhaps more likely to require that the tyre is better matched to the potential maximum performance of the vehicle and perhaps they are more likely to go with the manufacturers spec as a minimum standard?

Tom
    Last edited by Bumbly1; 22-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    The Beat goes on ......

It seems to me that we have to be practical here. We don't know why Honda used H rated tyres. It may have been the min spec available at the time in Japan. Possibly they were used on other models (the Beat was a low volume car) and it was easier to standardise on H. If 155/65R13Tare the best available are they up to the job? This size is used on the Rover Metro 1.4, a heavier and more powerful car. Furthermore it is front engined and front wheel drive which would put far more strain on the front tyres than would be the case with the Beat. This would suggest that they are suitable but ultimately if an insurer wants to be picky it would have to be settled in court. For the record both our Beats have T rated fronts but on an island with a 35mph limit its not an issue we thought very much about.

ok. so I bought a pair of kumho's for the rear to see what they're like.

ever since they went on, my beat has not been right. it seems to handle fine round tight bends etc but once up to about 60+ it kind of drifts all over the shop. left to right, right to left, its particularly bad under acceleration and when coasting along. It is scary when going around gentle motorway bends. It doesnt seem to pull to one side only and is ok at lower speeds. also the steering wheel now points right.

It's booked in for a wheel alignment soon but I'm not convinced this is going to solve it. my old tyres had no abnormal wear on them. any ideas?

they've clocked up enough miles to wear in since they went on.

Hello. First post, owned Beat for just over a month. Returning it to original spec as far as possible. Looking for tyres myself, now I have an original set of steel rims. If you want to stick to Japanese manufacturers Yokohama A Specs are available at both 155/65 13s and 165/60 14s - you can buy them on line to be fitted at a local National Tyres and Autocare at http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/. Using the following voucher code [mv1082] they work out at £156 - £38 a corner.

I have these tyres on my Honda Jazz - they are 'T' rated. I'll let you know my impressions when I get them on my Beat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12