Thread: smoking beat

Unhappy smoking beat

hi all, my little beat is smoking, it is okay on start on but when it gets warm black smoke come out. it is most noticeable when I put my foot back on the gas after free rolling down a hill and when I put my foot down hard, It is using oil. from what I have read I think it is the head gaskets, can anyone tell me all the parts and part number if possible that i will need.

smoking.

hi,

Our's was doing the same thing, but only after the cam belt went and was rebuilt, after a while 2 - 3 months we lost alot of power. when i checked the spark plugs cylinder 2 and 3 had alot of unburnt oil in them..... she is now back to the garage for some investigation. will keep you informed.

Pete & Sue

Mine has failed to start in the mornings because of oil on the spark plugs.

We had the rocker gasket changed and it still seems to have the trouble.

Will let you know if the problem persists when i've had the head gasket done, and my engine rebuilt!

Black smoke is usually due to overfueling, has it started to do less to the gallon than it used to???

It might be some thing as simple as a blocked air filter. of sh*t in the carb causing the car to run rich.

smoking

more news,

Garage has checked compression, only 20% compression on cylinder 2, oil is from rocker cover apparently. engine is coming out again, oh well at lest the the summer is over.

Pete & Sue

Black smoke normally indicates over fueling, this is normally cause by blown Capacitors in the ECU or a fouled oxygen sensor.

Capacitors are a cause of a lot of Beat running problems and engine light causes.

Some Oil use will be down to a combination of valve stem seals/piston ring wear.

HTH
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

thanks all, very helpfull.
    her power is still there, but she dose have a dead spot when you let the clutch out, the revs drop and sometime stalls (or should i rephrase "i stall her"). she will rev all the way up to the red line (not often of course) is doing a little less pre gallon, but she never been fantastic due to the big exhaust and performance air filling. always starts first time, used her for work yesterday, first time in a long time and i did notice (sat in traffic) that the exhaust smoke did have a smell to it, i couldn’t put my finger on what it was, but it could have been fuel. around the inside of the exhaust is like black sut.
    my bother says I should have the engine reconditioned, but I have never hear of it, has anyone had this done?

Sorry to hear about your pete & sue, and I hope you get yours sorted as well wh1teleopard let me know how you both get on.

Smoke

I put a good detergent into my Beat when I noticed a stroger than normal smell off the exhaust. I got a can of additive from my Honda dealer when I was getting my other car serviced, put in the petrol tank with the next fill and it helped a lot. I was getting some backfire when I lifted off the throttle at high revs, smell of petrol when not moving and worse MPG, I thought this was down to either a faulty or dirty oxygen sensor. The additive cleaned the valves and sensor and the problem is gone. It might be worth your while trying this, cheap alternative to an engine rebuild!!

I am getting an occasional smell of petrol, some hesitation on initial acceleration, and poor fuel economy (39MPG), so think I am running too rich.

This additive John_M speaks of sounds like a cheap thing to try first. What is it called?

I have not had the engine warning light come on (except when I put the keys in at the start), so on that basis, is it really safe to say that the ECU, capacitors and oxygen sensor are all OK?

Thanks

Bruce

after a "discussion" with my hubby he says that it is burning oil and the smoke is grey, and the smell is oil, so I took it to a mechanic friend, who also says she it burning oil. So it looks like an engine strip down, luckly it can be done over the winter

It sounds like what I had, all 3 pistons cracked in the end. But not all at once, check the compression and you might have some more clues to whats in store.
    I have a dream

Sounds like the valve stem oil seals have started go or if its worst case then maybe the pistons rings
    Honda Beat for time to get away from stress and the big bad world.

Presuming that that beat still has the same engine that i sold it with, then its most likely piston rings, as the head/valves were all redone, but I had to put another block in it due to bigend bearing failure, and that block/pistons I did not touch, just put in and run.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

hi everyone,
    just getting ready to order all the bits i need from my local Honda dealer, Steve M said that it is more that likely to be piston rings. So what else will i need to order other that the piston rings or should i say what else should be done while the engines out (funds allowing). sorry to sound stupid.

Well I'd replace the timing belt at the same time...

Even if Steve changed it when he did the head (and I recon he would have...) it's advisable to change it whenever it's disturbed...

Ady.

smoking and overfueling

Hi guys,
    beat in in the garage after a few years stood, still getting the same smoke and lack of response at low rev's, overfueling is the source but haven't got to the bottom of the problem yet, capacitors have been replaced in the ecu, so can only assume is the co2 sensor, (any other ideas would help).

have just given the sevice manuals to our local garage thankfully his brother is fluent in japanese.... maybe will get some more info soon. Steve would it be possible for my machanic to contact you with any questions he might have, he is very competant but hasnt worked on a beat before, I have given him all the details regarding timeing etc..

cheers

Pete & Sue

Thread drag up

4 and a half years

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>
    >>>gone, but not forgotten<<<

Moderator: can these new post be moved over to a new thread.

And really any thread older thansay 2 years should be locked to stop new posts dragging stuff up. people can always refer back to an old thread rather that just post in it.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!