Thread: Strange Beat problem

Strange Beat problem

Hello Beaters

Can any of your friendly folks help me....my Beat is playing up a bit.

My Beat only gets used at the weekends and only for very short journeys, it sits at the door during the week. I don't know if this is relevant to mention...could it be a condensation issue?

The Beat starts up OK and drives for 2 miles fine, and then it starts to have a problem when its stationery or in first gear. Any other gears are fine, but when its taken down to first I can hear a slight clatter as it struggles to get power. On a very bad day it will completely cut out...on a not so bad day the lights will flicker on the dashboard until it regains momentum. Sometimes my foot is on the accelarator and it will 'leap', like its gasping for air until it gets going again!

I must take it to a garage but since RAC have been out twice with no problems diagnosed its a problem you'd only know when you're driving it. As it goes I don't trust my little Beat anymore

Can anyone make sense of this? Thank you so much.

Wenders

Id put my money on idle circuit failure in the ECU (Blown capacitors)

Does the Engine warning light work normally?

Worth checking for any codes by bridging the Service connector.

Otherwise could the damp getting in to the ignition side of things. Rotor Arm and distribtor cap have a habit of burning out, so could be a bit of a missfire.

A few things to check as well as the basics - plugs, filters etc. will give more of an idea whats going on.

HTH
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Thanks very much.

All that does not mean anything to me but at least it gives me something to work with.

Did I do something to cause the blown capacitors , if its that?

It it a major fix/money pit?

barney Guest
    Capacitors as follows:-
    1 x 220 μF (35V)
    1 x 47 μF (35V)
    2 x 33 μF (35V)
    2 x 470 μF (10V)
    Available from places like Maplins for less than a fiver. A friend who's handy with a soldering iron/sucker and thats it.
    ECU is behind the passenger seat under the firewall carpet held by 3 bolts (I think)
    Worth doing anyway!
    Cheers
    http://members.multimania.co.uk/ozsa...serReplace.htm

Thanks

xxxxxxxxxx