Thread: Crank pulley

help Crank pulley

Is the crank pulley on a left hand thread? The manual doesn't appear to indicate this but I've been using a 50mm Sealey holder and a 16" breaker bar with about another 2 foot extension (over a metre of leverage) and I've just cracked a half inch extension bar on my socket set. I've put the heat gun on the 17mm bolt, lots of WD40, hit it with a hammer and still the f***** refuses to move. I've heard these were tight but nothing in my albeit limited experience .... Any suggestions?

Stokesey

Normal thread and that sounds too tight.

Heat and an air gun are your best chance. Over doing it with a power bar may shear it off. You defo don't want to do that.

That sound normal.

Will be very tight.

I wouldn't bother with an air gun, they dont normally shift them.

Use a decent short socket, preferably on a 1/2 drive ratchet rather than a knuckle bar (Knuckle bars in my experiance give too much), with a jack handle as extra leverage.

You also need to hold the crank. preferably with the special tool or lock the flywheel via the ring gear (Can be difficult).

Other than that a bit of brute force is needed.

Ive never had a Honda Crankshaft pulley bolt shear. (In all the Honda's Ive worked on)

The tightness is between the bolt washer and the pulley face rather than the threads of the bolt.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Lock crank, however possible (is engine out?)
    Put socket+Tbar+pipe extension on
    Apply force at the end of the pipe to take up all slack and apply some pre-load
    Whilst applying maximum force on the extension pipe, have somebody else wack the Tbar very sharply with a 5 lb hammer

I have never known a tight nut, however large, to resist this technique. Good luck!

Off at last

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice.

Finally off. The method using an axel stand which is on YouTube with the crank holder didn't work for me. One almighty heave from underneath using the crank holder without the socket extention bars on the breaker bar and I heard the right sort of crack. Before I think I was losing turning force on the multiple extensions.

Mostly though it was having faith that it would come off and indeed I was turning it in the right direction.

Cheers

Stokesey