Thread: Mirror glass removal ??????

Mirror glass removal ??????

Got both my mirrors off to repaint them as they are an odd shade of red. How do I remove the mirror heads?? I have place a wide trim removal tool at the base behind the glass, but cant seem to get them to Pop off, whats the trick?

Slip a bit of cardboard between the outer case and the glass to protect it. Warm the plastic edging of the glass with a hairdrier and ease the glass out using plastic tools or your fingernails. You can then access the screws that hold the mirror head.
    Last edited by LawrenceHarding; 21-04-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Additional info

As lawrence says you have to remove the actual glass from its surround to get to a screw behind it.

I personnally would not risk trying to take the glass out, if you break it you cant buy a new one apart from trying to get one cut by a glass/mirror supplier.

Just give the mirror case a blow over while its still complete.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Thanks chaps!

I took mine apart, and tried as nice as I could, the mirror broke in the process. I ended up taping the pieces together as a template and getting it reproduced at a glass shop. Cost me about $5 to get both mirrors cut. I used window polyurethane to glue them back in after I painted the surrounds. Worked great.
    From what I can tell, you can't order just the glass from Honda anymore.
    Best of luck,

Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    From what I can tell, you can't order just the glass from Honda anymore.
    it was never available separately.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Well you were all right, sure enough I broke it!

Took the template to my local glass man and he cut me a new one for £6. Anyway managed to slip it back in the back plate using a heat gun and a dremel to releive some of the tabs at the rear as the new one isnt curved. I used good old 'no nails' to hold it in place, but the lip of the back plate does that any way.

You have to heat the middle of the Mirror as well, there is double sided sticker holding it in 2 places behind it,and if you soften this as well after doing the sides it should come out in 1 piece.
    A true sports car should be designed so that when you sit in it you can put your arm over the side and touch your knuckles on the ground.