Thread: Engine rebuild underway, need part numbers for bearings

Engine rebuild underway, need part numbers for bearings

G'day all,

My Beat's at the mechanic's shop at the moment, having suffered a water pump failure ("so that's what that noise was!"). Anyway, I'm taking the opportunity to get the engine rebuilt - I've done OK so far tracking down part numbers, but have now struck the issue of bearings. As I understand it, I need some code numbers from the engine, and these can be used to look up the size required. So far the only code he's found is "CCBC" on the block, I understand there should also be a code on the crank itself - though he couldn't find one. If anyone could help out with locaing the appropriate codes and looking up the corresponding bearing sizes & part numbers, it would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Karl.

hi karl
    this had us stumped for ages with mine - no colour codes on any of the bearings and we couldnt make out the text at all until we took the crank out in the sun.
    heres a couple of pics to show you what you're looking for (without the biro pen scribbles!) - if its anything like ours it'll probably be VERY VERY faint and you'll need to tilt it round in the light to see - my camera couldnt pic it up well.
    i presume you've seen the section of the manual that describes how to check the sizes? i think beardo has it on his page if not: http://affordableperformance.org/doc...g_markings.pdf

hope this helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	markings1.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCC.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1890  

Use the info I put together to collect the codes from the crank/block and rods.

Heres a link to it on Beardo's site

http://affordableperformance.org/doc...g_markings.pdf

Then use the specific page in the Shop manual to work out which bearings you need.

7 differant main bearings/Big end bearings . if I recall.

Need any help with it just dtrop me the info from your engine and I will tell you the part numbers you need.

Too slow TADO beat me to it.
    Last edited by Steve_M; 27-04-2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

http://www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/BeatManual.jpg

This is the info from the Shop manual you need to work out the main bearings (translated into english)
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Thanks for that. I've just been on the phone to the mechanic, who still says he can't see anything on the crank. We have at least got the numbers off the con-rods ('2' on each one). Unfortunately I don't have easy access to have a look myself, but that might be what it takes. Is there any other way of determining the correct bearing sizes? Maybe I can read something off the old bearing shells?

hmm, my mechanic friend swore (and still does swear!) that he couldnt see anything either... but he does wear some quite thick glasses to read in!

the shells are supposed to have coloured markings but there was no sign of em on ours. i think theres a product called plastigauge you can use to measure the tollerances - steve will be able to advise more on this tho.

on a side note, what kind of noise was the waterpump making? our car has developed an occasional kind of squeek/toot noise when you turn the engine off - it sounds like a mouse or something! im not sure where its coming from but i suspect it may be something to do with the fuelpump as im sure its from that side of the engine rather than the waterpump side.

Quote Originally Posted by TADO View Post
    the shells are supposed to have coloured markings but there was no sign of em on ours. i think theres a product called plastigauge you can use to measure the tollerances - steve will be able to advise more on this tho.
    The shells do have a paint mark on the side of the shell at the apex of the curve, but normally all you find is a white/mucky brown mark where the oil has taken all the colour out of it.

The markings on the crank are very faint, they are sort of laser etched on to the front web. Some time makeing the survace wet with some WD40 and using the angle of the light you can read them.

To use plastigauge you would need to buy some shells of a certain size and then use those as referance to gauge what the clearance was. time consuming and costly thou.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TADO View Post
    on a side note, what kind of noise was the waterpump making? our car has developed an occasional kind of squeek/toot noise when you turn the engine off - it sounds like a mouse or something! im not sure where its coming from but i suspect it may be something to do with the fuelpump as im sure its from that side of the engine rather than the waterpump side.
    I definitely got that squeaky noise when you turn the engine off, also a "coffee grinder"-like noise that was continuous - eventually turned into a "coffee grinder with a rock in it" noise, not nice.

Success!

My mechanic has managed to read the codes from the face of the crankshaft.

OK, so I've got "CCBC" on the block, "222" on the rods, and "CDC 3222" on the crankshaft.

If I'm reading it correctly, that gives us main bearing sizes: brown, green, yellow, green (respectively).

I take it there's a similar look-up table for big-end bearings also?

Karl.

Your correct as far as how I interpret it.

So shells you need.

Main Bearing shells.

Brown = 13323-P36-003

Green = 13324-P36-003

Yellow = 13325-P36-003

Dont forget you need to order 2 for each bearing (sold individually)

Big end shells

You need a 2C , 2D and a 2C = Green, Brown, Green

Green = 13214-P36-003

Brown = 13213-P36-003

Same again as Mains, sold individually.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Karl.

glad you're getting somewhere karl. you were definitely right about the water pump too - ours was swapped out on thursday and you can hear the old one squeak every time you turn it - and there's a definite stiff spot in it. phewf.

Just resurrecting this old thread as in the process of an engine rebuild if someone can help please with which bearings we need please

On my engine I have got "CCCC" on the block, "222" on the rods, and "BCC 2322" on the crankshaft.

We are trying to translate / decipher the manual and a 2nd opinion would be great.

Many thanks

Crank bearing

1. C2 = Green (D) = 13324-P36-003 x 2
    2. C3 = Brown (C) = 13323-P36-003 x 2
    3. C2 = Green (D) = 13324-P36-003 x 2
    4. C2 = Green (D) = 13324-P36-003 x 2

Big end
    1. B2 = Yellow (E) = 13215-P36-003 x 2
    2. C2 = Green (D) = 13214-P36-003 x 2
    3. C2 = Green (D) = 13214-P36-003 x 2

From these:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11GS...ew?usp=sharing