Thread: Play MP3 on standard Gathers unit

Play MP3 on standard Gathers unit

Why not add MP3 play with a cheap and simple cassette adapter?
    I have bought the Sony Stereo Car Cassette Adaptor (£12.20 from Amazon) and it works well. Turn the MP3 Player volume to max to avoid some noise when amplifier volume is turned up high.
    HiFi it is not, but then the Beat is too noisy anyway.
    Cheap and very cheerful, definitely!

Mp3

This question is very much on my mind now. I tried a cheap cassette adaptor that worked well for a while but then caused a major problem by jamming the cassette drive. Now that I've fixed that I decided not to try it again, and have ordered a "wired" FM modulator that plugs into the aerial jack of the radio. It will require a little installation but they are reputed to work well.

There's another thread on audio topics BTW.

Steve
    Last edited by steveinjapan; 15-06-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Satellite radio

I've tried the cassette thingie far to fiddly for my liking, plus Beat Red's cassette didn't like it and kept spitting it out.

I also tried the MP3 via fm broadcast. Fuzz and fade and just plain bad listening experience.

I gave up on all of those and just installed Satellite radio. There is a monthly charge, but I get seamless reception coast to coast. It's connected directly to the FM antenna socket. I must say it rocks.
    Beat Red
    Halifax, Canada

1991 Honda Beat
    1965 Honda S600 and
    Honda Lawn Mower

Beat Red, Which satellite service do you use?
    Last edited by steveinjapan; 15-06-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Sattelite Radio

I use SIRIUS, but both are much the same. SIRIUS has both CBC (Canadian Broadcating Corporation) and BBC. XM doesn't or didn't at the time.
    All sorts of specials for these things here in Canada. Its about $15.00 a month. This includes car, home and online radio. Cost less the longer the committment.

Steve aka Beat Red
    Beat Red
    Halifax, Canada

1991 Honda Beat
    1965 Honda S600 and
    Honda Lawn Mower

Cheaper the better

I don't normally hold with the above, but I brought a cassette adapter off ebay for £1.50 inc post. It arrived in less than 24 hours and looked crap however plugged it in with my Walkman phone, played with the bass/trebble on both and it sounded pretty good and didn't spit out. I have the additional dash speaker and subwoofer between the seats.

In fairness I plugged it in my Jazz and it sounded rubbish. Go figure ....

Cheapest the Best

Well, maybe I should try it again, because I only paid US$0.99 for the one I just bought.

Past Hondas:

I still wish someone would make a aftermarket stereo that would fit in the odd DIN spacing for the beat stereo. These units really don't hold up that well compared to other OEM Honda stereo's. (buttons fall off easy and mine is very temperamental to even get it to work)

We've all seen the one from Meet the Beat in Japan, a unit with GPS and such (that probably only works in Japan) and cost a pretty penny. We are not even sure that it is for sale.

I also have a honda Acty (same motor minus the EFI) and it had a rubbish 1 speaker (not kidding) AM radio. The deck was OEM honda Clarion unit that actually looked quality, but the one speaker AM setup was obviously no good. It was single DIN, so a stereo swap was a cheap/easy affair.

I enjoy driving the beat more than the acty, but the stereo in the acty is so much nicer.

The stereo in the beat starts at about 6000rpm anyway, so who cares I guess

Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    I still wish someone would make a aftermarket stereo that would fit in the odd DIN spacing for the beat stereo.
    Ain't ever gonna happen now, the Beat has been out of production for to many years.

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>
    >>>gone, but not forgotten<<<

non-DIN

I installed the FM modulator, and happy to say it works OK although the audio level is low even at the max. adjustment on the unit. Very clear sound though. I have the leads and switch coming through the ashtray, where I also keep my mp3 player.

However, that Gathers radio is a genuine PITA to get back in place! Always something seems to be interfering the last centimeter, but finally it's in and looking and working good.... for the moment. I managed to fix the cassette door so it was worth the effort. Wish I hadn't pitched most of my old cassettes not too long ago because it is actually an excellent player now that I've cleaned the head and pinchwheels.

On the topic of a non-DIN replacement, I was fairly sure that some of the older Kei cars came with other small stereos, but I have not been able to find any yet. I guess the solution is to modify the console, and I have a spare one waiting for the next time I need a project. Question - it seems like the steel frame also needs to be modified when fitting a DIN unit, or does it???
    Last edited by steveinjapan; 22-06-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Past Hondas: