Thread: High speed-Hot Engine

help High speed-Hot Engine

Yesterday afternoon, i was driven on the autobahn, comming from a very nice Beat meet at the german east coast with 16! Beats. I used the empty street to come home soon. But when i drove 140 Ks or more (have got no limitter) the watertemp goes up. When i go slower the temp went back in the middle range, whats is normal. I thought it can only be the radiator, but he is ok, there is also no leak anywhere, no water or oil is missing. The fan works also.
    What the hell is wrong with Beatieh?
    You meet the nicest people in a HONDA!

Thanks for not answering. Realy nice comunity here. Is it why i`m german?
    If so, it is realy poor.
    Thanks for nothing,
    Guido
    You meet the nicest people in a HONDA!

sorry...

uhm.. maby the speed is to high?
    Maby the water has to be replaced?
    When the engine is running but not driving the temp is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    If so, it is realy poor.
    Thanks for nothing,
    Guido
    Probably no replys because no one has any ideas!!!!
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

If so, it is realy poor.
    Thanks for nothing,
    Guido
    Guido, that's a poor attitude and most unlike you! Steve is probably 100% right.

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>
    >>>gone, but not forgotten<<<

Is it why i`m german?

Guido
    And any way that's bad English, its should be "Is it because Im German" !!
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Yesterday afternoon, i was driven on the autobahn, comming from a very nice Beat meet at the german east coast with 16! Beats. I used the empty street to come home soon. But when i drove 140 Ks or more (have got no limitter) the watertemp goes up. When i go slower the temp went back in the middle range, whats is normal. I thought it can only be the radiator, but he is ok, there is also no leak anywhere, no water or oil is missing. The fan works also.
    What the hell is wrong with Beatieh?
    Some suggestions for Guido's problem:
    • Water cooling radiator badly clogged with deposits (likely)
    • Ignition timing retarded at high revs due to absence of limiter not compensated in ECU ignition map.
    • Combustion products in cooling system due to faulty head gasket.

Some other suggestions:
    Please, no silly comments about nationality or standards of English. This site is all about mutual help, cooperation and respect.

As it has to be limited to 140kph in Japan it is possible the cooling system is not designed to cope with sustained running much above that speed. How hot is it getting and how quickly does it cool when you slow down? Flushing out the cooling system may help. You could try a coolant additive as used in motorsport. Does anyone else regularly drive in excess of 140 kph and do they have problems?

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceHarding View Post
    As it has to be limited to 140kph in Japan it is possible the cooling system is not designed to cope with sustained running much above that speed. How hot is it getting and how quickly does it cool when you slow down? Flushing out the cooling system may help. You could try a coolant additive as used in motorsport. Does anyone else regularly drive in excess of 140 kph and do they have problems?
    I think this is pretty correct - there are no autobahns in Japan and even on the expressways the speed limit is only 100 or 110. Mr. Honda might have thought it'd be OK to drive faster, but that engine is really spinning at 140 kph and unless you're going downhill it's probably running full throttle, producing a lot of friction and combustion heat for the tiny cooling system to dissipate.

Anyway, a rise in water temperature is not serious until the coolant starts to boil, and then you are in trouble! It doesn't matter much to the metal engine components whether they are running at 70C or 100C (the cooling system is pressurized so it won't boil at 100C), as long as you are using the proper oil. (See the last line of my sig if you need to know how I know this.)

Actually the engine operates more efficiently at higher temperatures, and also the higher the temp difference between coolant water and ambient air, the faster the radiator will lose heat. So unless you do have a leak things work themselves out, sort of.
    Last edited by steveinjapan; 01-07-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.