Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixing Engine - Need Parts

Ratings are a bit different here.
    We have up to 94 AKI (which is 98 RON)

Regular in Japan is RON 89 or 90. My stock Beat runs fine and never pings even at low rpm. Maybe I'll treat it to Premium next time and see if the exhaust smells like money.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

hi maiku
    ive seen those chips on yahoo before but was a bit baffled by the different types. do you have a rough idea of the differences between them?

The numbers like 9500, 9800 state the rpm limit.
    I'm not really sure if it's a rev limit, or just a fuel cut limit or tune limit.
    I haven't tried going above my 10,000 rpm tune to see what it's like.
    They did mention that for this 10K tune, the engine needs to be sufficiently able to handle it.

The NMA i think means normal model (stock engine i suppose)
    NSP is the "sports" model

It ships in a padded envelop which has the main chip, an accompanying toshiba chip, and a "switch" so that you can change between the stock and chipped tunes.

Update:
    I just drove the beat and it hit the limiter at 10,000rpm. Even with the foot down, it wouldn't let me go any higher.
    Last edited by maiku; 14-06-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Here's some pics of the upgraded brakes.
    The rear civic calipers don't work because of the handbrake won't mount correctly.
    Right now it's using the existing beat caliper, but with larger brackets to fit the 10.2" rear discs. You can see it fills the whole 14" rim. Had to shave the pads down as there wasn't enough clearance. I'll look into getting the civic handbrake working with the beat.
    For now this setup works very nicely and it stops hard enough that I can get dizzy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	2028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	2029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	2030  

someone front-ended be with their tow bar

Name:	frontdamage.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	2033  
    Last edited by maiku; 15-07-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Snap!!!
    Last Monday.
    May not look much but pushed the bonnet catch area back and cracked the base of the screen. Just had the estimate £3800.

Name:	Bent Beat.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	2034  

Looks like it wasn't a good week for Yellow Beats

My front body frame seemed to take a formidable hit.
    Estimates to be over $3000...

On the upside, my bodykit and hardtop came in along with the interior parts.
    Hopefully the body shop will get it done quickly.

Name:	frontframe.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	2035  

Parts arrived last Friday, delivered to bodyshop this am (Tuesday).

they couldn't salvage the existing parts?
    my body shop could bend the parts back into place.
    its not perfectly aligned, but pretty dang close. and it was a lot faster than waiting for parts

The bonnet took most of the hit and is too distorted. It was pushed back far enough to bend the wiper mounts and crack the bottom of the screen. The bonnet catch had been pushed back an inch or two as well.

I know in yahoo auctions there were quite a few carbon fiber/FRP hoods that would work nicely.
    Also good time to get a bumper.

Here's a pic of the car before I changed to winter tires last year.
    Good as new.

Name:	dsc0320ba.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	2074  

Pretty sure Japan has 100 RON, in New Zealand we only have 98 RON which is a concern because I wish to do the same as you and fit high compression pistons. Very nice by the way.

What was the compression ratio listed for the pistons you used? Did you have your engine cc-ed? Quite often with these aftermarket pistons they expect you to machine the tops to give the exact ratio you are after. You may have ended up with a crazy 12:1 ratio?

I would like to think a 11.5 ratio should be achievable on this engine on premium gas.

As far as 10,000 rpm goes very cool! But I don't know that you will gain much power (or any) from the extra 2000 RPM as your cam is still standard right? I would imagine the standard cam would be out of its effective operating zone by then?

If we ever needed a VTEC now would be the time, tiny engine, huge RPM range to cover!

I'm still on standard cam, so i don't think there's any additional power at 10k.
    and the oversized pistons are only 0.5mm or so, maybe a few hp gain. nothing massive. the advantage is being able to shift at 10,000 and being around 8,000 rpm in the next gear. and it's louder = more power

I think i read it was around 11.5:1 compression. our RON rating in north america isn't very high, so my mech had to adjust the timing pretty conservatively. it still pings on low rev at some points.

High compression usually brings better response, but as the Beat engine is already multi throttle you might not notice it. You will no doubt feel a slight power gain throughout the rev range though.

I guess a custom tuned aftermarket stand alone comp might be able to compensate for it by just running a bit richer at that point in the rev range?

Thats what it sounds like, you are running a bit lean at that point and the cylinders are combusting at the wrong times on their own terms?

Hondas ignitions are known to have a bit of a lull in power output around the low/mid rev range which might be useful to know also. I will be fitting an aftermarket ignition when my pistons go in, help punch through the high compression A/R mixture. Might pay to do the same, you can't drive a pinging car.
    Definitely going to get my pistons/valves ceramic coated after hearing this. Probably going to be worse for me, no cat which is already supposed to cause your car to run lean.
    Looks like I will be installing an A/R meter!

Yes, I have plans on getting an engine management system in place to make the fuel curve better.
    and the issue isn't with the pistons, it's with the piston rings
    that's why it needed a rebuild.
    but as long as I make sure the oil level is good, engine should last for quite a while

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12