Thread: New Alloys and Tyres?

help New Alloys and Tyres?

G'day all,

I should be getting the beat back this week, (It's been in for a re-spray). I'm looking into getting some mags for it.

It is still on the original wheels and I'd like to keep the F13" R14" set up if possible. However getting X2 13" and X2 14" wheel that match seems to be a mission... Most companies I've looked at want to sell a set of 4 the same size!

I'd like advice on the best way to go including tyre size. I'm not opposed to putting 14" wheels on all 4 but don't want to raise the front or to affect the handling.

I have a container heading over to NZ from the UK in the New Year so am considering purchasing a set from the UK and bringing them over then. Given the lack of over-population here does have the down side of limited options!

Any advice would be great, plus I'd also consider getting X4 13" and X4 14" wheels if anyone would be up for splitting the sets?

How about secondhand Honda Beat factory mags.
    I' ve used Jesse Streeter in Japan to bid on parts all arrived safe and sound.
    his email is dartsun75@gmail.com

There are quite a few sets always on Japhoo. I'm looking around myself. In fact I might want to sell my stock phone-dials if I find some I like better.

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/s...ab_ex=commerce

This link only brings up tires and some wheel sets but there are others listed including a set of phone-dials for 50000 yen! (Too much - they look far from mint)

Later - it looks like they lowered the starting bid price to 30,000 and deleted the shot of the dirty insides

Steve
    Last edited by steveinjapan; 05-12-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys,

I'll keep you all posted once I've decided on which way to go.
    Steve, I found the car bible link you posted to be very useful.

Cool New Wheels now fitted

Finally got the new Alloys thanks to Dave Hadley Tyres in Lower Hutt.

Front: 14X55 Tyres 165/55 R14
    Rear: 15X6 Tyres 175/50 R15

Was a big effort to find matching 14/15" but I'm really happy with them, there are no issues and I've just done a 900KM trip to bed them in. The car now handles much better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b11.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	1945  

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive View Post
    Finally got the new Alloys thanks to Dave Hadley Tyres in Lower Hutt.

Front: 14X55 Tyres 165/55 R14
    Rear: 15X6 Tyres 175/50 R15

Was a big effort to find matching 14/15" but I'm really happy with them, there are no issues and I've just done a 900KM trip to bed them in. The car now handles much better
    Very nice-looking rims. The car looks higher in the picture but the overall wheel diameters are actually a bit smaller than stock, according to the calculator.

In what way did it improve the handling?? I am still looking for new tyres and am open to size changes but want to keep the "'dials".

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Thanks Steve,

I'm stoked with them.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post
    In what way did it improve the handling??
    The ride is now firmer which I'm putting down to the tyres being a lower profile due to the step up in wheel size. It certainly feels more sporty. I don't know how well the old ones were balanced but I used to have a slight judder a high speed, the new wheels seem to have fixed this (however getting the old ones balanced would probably have done the same!)

I have also lost the "space saver" and put one of the old front wheel in as the spare. I needed a longer bolt to secure it down and had to lose the inner plastic storage pot.

On the subject of wheels..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHJJODtKfgo

Drove my new Beat back from Birmingham yesterday, and put these alloy on today, I had them on the red Beat, they are 13" and 14" and have on the factory size Kumo tyres. I feal they make a big difference to handling and I like the look, the wheels are JDM. Need a re-furb really..

Anyway, the new Beat is amazing such a difference having an engine that works!

I am going to post some pics and stuff of it, when I get it sorted, or before, sometime anyway.

I am glad I stuck with the Beat, I knew they must be good cars, I was just very unlucky with my first one.

I nearly ran to the garage this morning, just to check I really had bought that car yesterday, like a kid at Christmas!

F1 wheel change

Great work on the wheel change, certainly looks good with the new wheels.
    Not quite F1 speed, but safe and secure....