Thread: plastic pretty

plastic pretty

I asked this before but got no answers... I find that the gray plastic interior accumulates a lot of scratches from light wear, even brushing with my fingernails reaching for the seatbelt. It's looking a bit tatty now, so what material works well to put the color back in those light marks?

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post
    I asked this before but got no answers... I find that the gray plastic interior accumulates a lot of scratches from light wear, even brushing with my fingernails reaching for the seatbelt. It's looking a bit tatty now, so what material works well to put the color back in those light marks?
    Try using light grey shoe polish with a lint free cloth, but don't put to much on. I have in the past used smooth peanut butter to bring back the shine on black plastic, it's the oil that does the business but it smells nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Try using light grey shoe polish with a lint free cloth, but don't put to much on. I have in the past used smooth peanut butter to bring back the shine on black plastic, it's the oil that does the business but it smells nice.

Drop the peanuts and go with some nut oil. Very common amongst detailers

<<<<<<<VERSION Z>>>>>>
    >>>gone, but not forgotten<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Mylee View Post
    Drop the peanuts and go with some nut oil. Very common amongst detailers
    YES! Thanks! I had some slightly stale massage oil around and it worked like a charm, and looked even better when I went back to peek in just now. And it's not overly shiny like Armorall.

I always thought the used car lot smell was coconut air freshener!

Steve
    Last edited by steveinjapan; 05-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

I like the smell of sex wax used for surf boards. It makes a great air freshener.