Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hella HID DOT compliant

Sweet, I assume you found the grommet in the front wheel arch to access the park light bulbs then! I've been really happy with my ones, which look much better than the photos really suggest.

Yep, piece of cake. Even had the weird plastic toolkit tool that I couldn't figure out until I looked in the owners book, to twist the socket.

The LEDs actually cast a usable white forward beam about 6 feet. Thanks for the hints. Total cost of the 4 LED bulbs was US$33 by the way.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by bigB View Post
    No Tado, I just replace the bulbs with leds. Red does seem much brighter than blue though.
    a few questions:
    1. How do I open the instrument cluster to get at the bulbs?
    2. What is the spec for the LED replacements... are they standard T10 or something else?
    3. How many bulbs does the speedo take? I think one of mine is burned out, but in the picture it looks like you only have one, on the left side.

Thanks,
    Steve

Past Hondas:

Arrow Cluster removal...

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post
    a few questions:
    1. How do I open the instrument cluster to get at the bulbs?
    2. What is the spec for the LED replacements... are they standard T10 or something else?
    3. How many bulbs does the speedo take? I think one of mine is burned out, but in the picture it looks like you only have one, on the left side.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

To open the cluster you'll need to remove it.

1st off you'll need to remove the steering column trim, then you'll be able to access 2 or 3 screws that hold the cluster to it, there is also one on the top under the shroud.

If you follow the loom down then it will unplug just right of the steering column.

Now you have the cluster out you'll find 4 hexagonal bolts on the back which will allow you to open it up.

Bulbs are T5 type. I've forgotten how many there are! Maybe 5 or 6?

Remember to plug it in and test before putting it back together as LED bulbs will need to be the right way round.

I also changed the bulbs in my heater display (also T5 bulbs) I went with one white and one blue.

Hi again,

I only found one T5 bulb for dial illumination, fortunately it was the one that was burned out and I replaced it with a red LED T5. Works fine, but that's as far as I got.

Most of the other bulbs for general instrument illumination say 'toshiba V2" on the gray bayonet part, and the actual glass bulbs don't seem to come out of the bayonet easily. Were you able to get them out and actually replace them with the T5 LEDs? I've got 4 more red T5 LEDs and I'd love to use them.....

Past Hondas:

Hi Steve,

They were rather tight from memory, but they still come out.

Just to confirm we're on the same page I've attached a page from the electric PDF.

There should be 5 bulbs for the illumination. (I think!) The others are simply the warning lights. Ignore these and the Hazard bulbs.

Think the ones marked 1.4 are the babies. Four in a row middle height and one centre top (Other 1.4 will be high beam)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Obsessive; 28-07-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: More details...

Same page, all right.

The ones in the pic that say 1.4W long (in katakana), are the T5. The ones that say just 1.4W are the Toshiba V-2. I don't want to change out the other 4 T5s because they are the turn indicators, the high beam,and one of the warning lights.

Anyone remember how or if those little V-2s are made?

Past Hondas:

Apparently there is a separate twist-lock base that will accommodate the T5 (#74) LED bulbs. I found a source in the US for them, very cheap. In theory the combination will replace the Toshiba V-2 original bulbs.

Is that what you used, by chance?

Past Hondas:

Quote Originally Posted by steveinjapan View Post
    Apparently there is a separate twist-lock base that will accommodate the T5 (#74) LED bulbs. I found a source in the US for them, very cheap. In theory the combination will replace the Toshiba V-2 original bulbs.

Is that what you used, by chance?
    From memory the T5 LED simply fitted in to the twist lock base the bulb pulled out from. I'll see if I can take it apart in the morning and confirm (Maybe take a photo).

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive View Post
    From memory the T5 LED simply fitted in to the twist lock base the bulb pulled out from. I'll see if I can take it apart in the morning and confirm (Maybe take a photo).
    Thanks, but don't bother if it's any trouble (I had some cursey-time getting the bottom column trim piece back in place, but that's irrelevant). I've ordered the little sockets and will just wait until they come before opening it again.

Past Hondas:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123