Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mid-life rebuild...

well i've got to the 'can't do anything else' stage...waiting on paint now.
    everything that needs to come off is off, bar the front & rear lights, will come off at bodyshop.
    new hood will be ordered sometime this week, fitting to be arranged.

Reminds me of 18 months ago when I got my one painted. I had the fun task of removing all the over spray from all the parts I'd removed thanks to the shocking job done by the previous paint job

Still it kept me amused whilst the car was at the body shop!

cant wait to see the new look TOM'Y - keep warm and keep up the good work dave!

thanks Mike.

got bored today so found some 'stuff' hiding in cupboard, did a bit of 'Badda Badda Bling'

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...gsurrounds.jpg
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t/frontfog.jpg

wait & see now if it remains stuck on....

off for paint on Thursday, working away next week so won't see until at least the following w/e.

wrapped scuttle today with Alligator

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...at/scuttle.jpg

around the screen will also be done, makes a change from Carbon Fibre

great news about the paint dave, cant wait to see the final outcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by old'uns View Post
    wrapped scuttle today with Alligator
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...at/scuttle.jpg
    around the screen will also be done, makes a change from Carbon Fibre
    please tell me the interior will be 'huggy bear purple' velour too match?

he's back
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...kfromspray.jpg

doesn't look that different on pic but definite improvement.

wheels also done

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...lrefurb2-1.jpg

now to start rebuild & service

booked in for the 27th to have the new hood fitted.
    fitted back bumper, spoiler & a few other things today.
    stereo now connected up, some trim back in.
    still got fair list of things to get....

Horn
    Air & oil filter, Air con belt, various clips ordered from Honda
    LED front Indicator & sidelights on way to put in before bumper goes back on
    retro-fit Aero blades as well
    just ordered 2 PIAA H4H bulbs.......lots of pennies

....and also various screws, bolts , nuts to sort out

I like your rims Dave. Just had a quote back to respray ToBY £2400......ouch! Need to negotiate with me doing the strip out. If I can get it sorted out, maybe two bling yellow beats at the park.

original quote was £1500 from a restoration place, stripping off as much as possible.
    went to get a price for wheels, found out they had bodyshop & asked for quote.....paid £680 for paint, water based base & 2-pack lacquer in OEM colour & all 4 wheels powdercoated with chrome lip & Graphite centre.
    only painted exterior panels, apart from d/s shut, couple of dents filled & blister on d/s sill.
    removed bumpers, spoiler, front wings, mirrors & side vents.
    happy with paint, minor gripe is runs on inside edge of vents but at a later date will wet sand back, plenty of paint to work with!

i'd have been prepared to pay the £1500 but with a long 2 trips coming up would feel bad if chipped or scraped it, lower price means i could re-do no problem

can't wait to see the little chap back on the road
    its great to see so many beats getting the treatment!

front wings now on & various small bits.

LED indicators need load resistors, flash like crazy!

been to see about custom oil catch can, quick mock-up of where i think i can fit it
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...hcanmockup.jpg

should be approx 100mm dia X 120/140mm high tucked into corner as far as possible, captive sleeve on top to fit bolt or long bolt welded to can & nut?
    no sight glass, hopefully won't get full too quick & may not fit drain plug, easy enough to take off & drain once a year?
    outlets will be sorted when i take car in for measuring up.

possible to blank air box & vent outlet from can to atmosphere via the side vent?

rough cost will be £50-£60 so if it works out i'll ask them to keep specs on file for any future takers?

Quote Originally Posted by old'uns View Post
    original quote was £1500 from a restoration place, stripping off as much as possible.
    went to get a price for wheels, found out they had bodyshop & asked for quote.....paid £680 for paint, water based base & 2-pack lacquer in OEM colour & all 4 wheels powdercoated with chrome lip & Graphite centre.
    only painted exterior panels, apart from d/s shut, couple of dents filled & blister on d/s sill.
    removed bumpers, spoiler, front wings, mirrors & side vents.
    happy with paint, minor gripe is runs on inside edge of vents but at a later date will wet sand back, plenty of paint to work with!

i'd have been prepared to pay the £1500 but with a long 2 trips coming up would feel bad if chipped or scraped it, lower price means i could re-do no problem
    The company I have been too said the paint will be £680 but including the prep, strip out and rebuild being labor intensive that's where the cost come in. They also put a provision in for broken bits replacement. Room for considerable cost reduction.

I was considering having the wheels coated in that black chrome with the rims diamond cut. Not far off of yours. Good choice.

So all you Beat'nicks out there don't throw away and bits.....not just yet!!

i stripped as much off as possible purely for the reason if i broke it, i knew about it.
    the paint shop labourers will have no idea how hard some parts are to replace, if at all.

Did you have any problem area's I should be aware of. Like hard plastic becoming brittle?

not so much the plastic but the clips, especially the type with x headed insert wouldn't unscrew, i've replaced most of mine with newer equivalent types ie the 9 that hold front & rear bumper on top are the new type with slots to lever up, not the octagonal shape with X head

The clips that hold the scuttle to windscreen i broke most of them but having seen it now i would go gentle. not too sure whether you could lift front edge & slide out or need to get long nosed pliers starting at one end and squeeze the tabs.

mark & keep the bolts etc together, much easier, take pics as well i've already forgotten some things!
    you'll also find that at some stage the 'wrong' size or type of fixing has been used or not put in, i'm now in process of listing what i need.
    also replacing some bolts & washers with new, also using number plate bolts to fix the rear mudflap to bumper- the 2 underneath fixings that use a stainless plate

i removed bumpers, front wings , mirrors, spoiler & side vents.
    window trim on doors clips out easily.
    hood was removed but not difficult to remove the metal work from boot area.
    rubber ring around boot lock pops out, loosen bolt on lock to do it.
    if front wings are off, make sure they paint right to front, my passenger side isn't, my fault as i didn't check before, the drivers side door shut was done so part between wing fixings was done automatically

can't think of anything else at moment, phew!

Thanks for the info Dave. Shall take photo's and notes of the strip out. Will post piccy's when I start. Got to get rid of the mini first.

decided to strip the vinyl off pillars...
    4 hrs later & i'm left with this..
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...enstripped.jpg

heat gun no good, paint stripper to get the vinyl off, another coat to get some of the glue off and finish with thinners, panel wipe, fingernails, razor blades & a few choice words!

don't leave paint stripper on too long & walk away....
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...llardamage.jpg

now need to prime, fill, sand etc before i fit Vinyl wrap

Oil catch can has been measured up, should be done late next week.

altering side repeaters to white, slight change from how they are at moment, very much a suck & see job.

Bad luck on the pillars! Damn, that must suck having to put the time in to fix them up

I painted my side repeaters too. Once the old amber lens was smashed out and the plastic was painted I cut some perspex to replaces the lens.

The challenge was to cut a circle with out a pilot hole.
    Trick here was to use a circular saw (drill attachement) to cut a hole in some MDF, then lose the pilot drill bit and clamp the MDF above the perspex. Result, one perfect round Perspex lens with no centre hole

I had a nice rubber bead kicking around which I used to glue the two together. Works well and no leaks

hopefully mine will be as OEM but in clear.
    should have the taper around the edge to seat as per original & possibly the circles routed as well, if not cross cut to leave tiny pyramids.
    got some white reflective to 'cone' the inside & amber LED's as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast