Thread: Extended Highway driving bad on the Beat?

Hybrid View

Extended Highway driving bad on the Beat?

Ok, as some of you may have heard, I was planning on entering Pikes Peak this year, but after some suggestions that I will be in need of a motor rebuild after extended high rpm/g-force driving, and the fact that my wife is due with our 3rd child the same month as the race, I've decided to pass.

Its to bad...but it turns out Pikes Peak will for the first time be ALL pavement this year as well, and the entries have DOUBLED. The will also have to hold qualifiying for each class to limit the entries. No way the little 660cc would make it anyway! Next year it will be a 2 day even where they can have more entries again.

So, it all turns out for the best I guess. I've planned instead to go on a highway trip with my brothers. My brothers both drive motorcycles, and the Beat is like a 4 wheel motorcycle anyway. They drive respectivly around 65mp/h or so crusing. (KTM Duke 690 and Piaggio MP3 500).

Its in the Canadian Rocky Mountains as well, so I'll have to take it easy on the little motor up those steep hills.

If we go for a 2000 mile drive, at 65mp/h or so (5000+ rpm) all day long, will this destroy my motor?

I drove my beat approx 301 miles non stop mostly motorway driving (70-80mph) for approx 5.5hours (probably longer) without a hiccup, the Beat lapped it up and seemed happy doing so, however there weren't many, if any at all, steep inclines.

I would say that the car should be ok as long as you keep an eye on everything, if anything seems off, stop and check.
    Scotty D

My mechanic figured that since the beat will happily rev to 10,000 rpm, cruising at half that speed shouldn't be too bad.

I drive to work and back and average 5-6k rpm for an hour or so without incident.

I'm looking at getting some final gears that will reduce the cruising rpm to 4k or so which would help fuel economy.

Your main problem is that at high RPM all engines start to consume more oil and with an old worn engine thats prone to drinking oil already, with such a tiny oil capacity, already over reving to make it in the real world you run the risk of using up most your oil on the journey which is when engine damage occurs.
    So I would make sure your engine is in good health, oil topped up and check it when you get to your destination.
    Probably want to make sure you have had your timing belt changed recently and make sure your A/C compressor is working correctly or it will strain the engine with extra load.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatman
    Probably want to make sure you have had your timing belt changed recently and make sure your A/C compressor is working correctly or it will strain the engine with extra load.
    Oh, I forgot to ask, how do I check to see if my A/C compressor is working correctly?

Right now, if I turn my A/C on, i notice a definat loss of power. I would imagine this means it is working correct?

Timing belts and dizzy are brand new

long distance shouldn't be an issue, you won't be flat out all day long?
    65mph is easy enough, you should be getting at least 300/320kms per tank which is around 3 hrs driving & time to take a break & stretch legs, massage certain parts etc

AC should blow cold

Quote Originally Posted by scottyd
    I drove my beat approx 301 miles non stop mostly motorway driving (70-80mph) for approx 5.5hours (probably longer)
    WOW! Is that not like 6500+ rpm!!! If it can handle that, I should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by maiku
    My mechanic figured that since the beat will happily rev to 10,000 rpm, cruising at half that speed shouldn't be too bad.
    Fair statement. I agree

I drive to work and back and average 5-6k rpm for an hour or so without incident.
    Good to know. How many km on your odo?

I'm looking at getting some final gears that will reduce the cruising rpm to 4k or so which would help fuel economy.
    This would require taking the transmission apart, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatman
    Your main problem is that at high RPM all engines start to consume more oil and with an old worn engine thats prone to drinking oil already
    Makes sense. I'm thinkin the fuel range will be about 250km, so I will check the oil at every fuel fillup. Thats the bonus of a small fuel tank as well

My commute is about 60km total travel.
    The transmission would need to be taken out to replace the final gear.
    I figure I'll get a Cucso LSD while i'm at it