Thread: Squeaking noise help/ideas?

Squeaking noise help/ideas?

Hi I need your advice and help please, just before Christmas my cars fanbelt was squeaking as the weather got colder so I had the belts tightened as a temporary fix until I got round to getting them replaced.

Everything was much better, however when engine braking, I sometimes get a squeaking metallic noise(?) from the engine area. It may have been there before however the fan belt noise may have been masking it.

It never happens when accelerating or maintaining speed, only on deceleration when I change down and let off the clutch to engage it, and sometimes when just letting the car slow down in gear, mostly notice in 3rd or 4th. For example if letting the car slow down from 4000revs to 2000revs in 3rd, as the revs get around 2500 or lower the noise will briefly appear until the clutch is disengaged (pressed).

It happened very briefly when I reversed the other day too. Also It only seems to happen when the car is warm.

Other than this the car drives perfectly, starts every time, revs smoothly, I just have no idea what it could be, I want to believe it is the fanbelt still, however it is an unfamiliar squeaking noise and i'm just not sure.

I am taking the car into Honda for a servce soon but I just want to know what you think it could be.

Any and all help appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by scottyd; 08-01-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Scotty D

Maybe its the dizzy bearing? I've been told that they start to squeak at certain RPMs before freezing up.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look into it and tell Honda to check/replace it when I take it in.

Cheers!
    Scotty D

Quote Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
    replace it when I take it in
    You will have a wait for a new one. No stock in Europe. ETA 03/02/12 if ordered today. Price £291.41 Inc VAT.

Difficult to give any other diagnosis without hearing the noise and getting a better idea of location.

But yes good call on distributor bearing they do squeak/screech has the meet their end, so dont ignore it if it is.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Ouch! £291 and a wait, does anyone happen to know anywhere that supplies these other than Honda?

Also is this part number: 30102-P36-006 correct?

Thanks!
    Scotty D

Part number is 30100-P36-016

30102 will get you the distributor cap.

I doult you will get one any where else other than a Honda dealer in the UK.

You could possibly get one from one of these Japan buyers (Jesse Streeter etc.)
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Thanks Steve, the car goes in on Friday and if it needs doing it will get ordered, hopefully it is not the case because that money will make a bit of a dent in my respray/roof/coilover fund hahaha, but the wellbeing of the car is priority.
    Scotty D

Took the car into Honda today to have the brakes fitted and get the car checked out. I also had them fit my Mitsu Finnels which i've had lying around for 5 years hahaha!

I could not get the fanbelt and AC belt changed because they aren't in stock until the beginning of February.

Honda said that they checked the car out and they could find nothing wrong and that everything looks in tip top shape apart from the fan/AC belts which are worn.

So hopefully when those get changed in Feb everything will be spot on!

I will keep you updated on what happens if and when it does.

edit: I also had them give me a brief estimate on how much they would charge for a full respray, they reckon well into the 4 figures for a proper job, around £1500. I was guessing that would have been the cost of a proper job, so maybe that is an option for the future, I still need to have a shop around because I don't mind paying premium for excellent work. I think the respray will be on the bottom of the list of things to do, with my coilovers, wheels and roof being priority.
    Last edited by scottyd; 13-01-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Scotty D

I've seen where the A/C compressor clutch can make a metallic squeak. See if it only happens when A/C or defrost is on and the compressor is engaged. ?

Thanks for that info, I will check that out!
    Scotty D

I had the fanbelt and AC compressor belt changed, yet I still have that annoying squeaking noise and i'm running out of ideas as the car only makes the noise infrequently while moving, the car does not make the noise while stationary.

I had honda check the distributor, water pump etc etc and they said they could not find any problems. And they could not replicate the sound when they took it for a drive. (typical because it is not very frequent)

I checked the air-con possibility, however when the air-con is on it makes no noise, and the noise happens when the air-con is off also.

The noise is coming from the rear left (passenger side) of the car. I think it is coming from the engine bay, however I cannot be sure as there is no way for me to repicate the noise whie statonary.

Does anybody have any more ideas before I dismantle the car hahaha? Any info on key parts that are on the left hand side of the engine would be helpful and if anyone has any diagrams of the engine it would be extremely useful.

Thanks,
    Scott.
    Last edited by scottyd; 26-01-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Scotty D

maybe bring an audio recorder and get a definitive sound?
    it would make it easier for honda to recognize