Thread: Air-con Removal.

Air-con Removal.

Has anyone has any success on removing the air-con compressor from the car? If so, is there anything that needs modifying with regards to the fanbelt etc?

I never use the air-con and never plan to, it is just another thing to maintain and sap power, it has to go.

Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.
    Scotty D

Easiest thing to do would be to just remove the belt then the engine is no longer driving it.
    If you go to sell it you can just put the belt back on.
    I've been down the route of A/C removal on old cars before and its not really worth the effort unless you are going to use it at the track.

Plus there is always some poor bastard who takes out his A/C then six months later realises he needs it and has a hell of a time trying to put it back together

Take off the belt you get the benefit of full power from the engine without the need for de-valueing your car.

Thanks for the reply, that does sound like the best option, I wasn't sure if you could just remove the AC belt and have everything else work fine, but now I do so thanks for the info!
    Scotty D

Aircon compressor is coupled with a magnetic clutch so when turned off all that is being driven is the pulley on the end. I imagine the power loss would be negligable. Unless you need to remove the belt for some other reason I wouldn't bother.

True, but when you only have 64 hp from a 660cc engine using an A/C compressor much the same size as a regular size car every little bit helps!
    Rotational losses get higher as the rpm goes up and we got a motor that needs to rev.
    Remember the pulley is under a fair bit of tension as well to stop it slipping, this all loads things up.
    If your not going to use it I don't see the point in leaving the belt in there? At the very least you save on wearing out one more belt for no reason.