Thread: Help with stalling idle....

Help with stalling idle....

Anyone help/advise?? Left the lights on last week and returned to a flat battery. Rescue org got it going after a 2.5 hr wait but since then the idle speed is steady and OK but when revved it builds as it should but release your foot and it almost dies but then recovers. Driving means it does this as you change down with a fear it will stop. Not sure if the battery stupidity is a coincidence. Not technically minded these days but would welcome any advice as it's bugging me. East Northants area. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gymm View Post
    Anyone help/advise?? Left the lights on last week and returned to a flat battery. Rescue org got it going after a 2.5 hr wait but since then the idle speed is steady and OK but when revved it builds as it should but release your foot and it almost dies but then recovers. Driving means it does this as you change down with a fear it will stop. Not sure if the battery stupidity is a coincidence. Not technically minded these days but would welcome any advice as it's bugging me. East Northants area. Cheers
    Before getting too involved: a new battery costs about £50 and it is the easiest way to eliminate it, or confirm it as the trouble. I have had two experiences of faulty batteries actually causing the engine to stop in spite of a fully functioning charging system.

Thx I will investigate. Did you have the stalling idle too?

The battery fault makes sense. Could be your draining it and the fast charge did in one or more weak cells, so either you haven't got the juice to keep the ignition and other engine management electrics happy, and/or the load on the alternator trying to stuff 15 volts into a (now) 10-volt battery is putting a huge load on the engine.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

It's most likely because your battery went flat the ECU is now having to relearn the long term fuel trim, so will take a short while, you may also notice a change in fuel consumption until it is fully back to where it was.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    It's most likely because your battery went flat the ECU is now having to relearn the long term fuel trim, so will take a short while, you may also notice a change in fuel consumption until it is fully back to where it was.
    That's interesting! How does that work?

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

http://stealth316.com/misc/obdii_fuel_trim.pdf

This describes what im talking about, even thou not specific, as this is OBDII compliance, and Beat is pre-OBDII requirements, but any closed loop system uses a similiar principle.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Steve M and steveninjapan

Thanks for your advice and taking the time to assist. I'll get a new battery asap. I thought it could be relevant. Cheers!

Bought a new battery from Central Auto Supplies (CAS) £45 for a decent one with a 3 yr warranty. Took about 30 mins for the ECU to stabilise the idle and now as it should be so took it out for a long drive.....

Thats great! glad you're up and running.