Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Final Gear

Changing Final Gear

Hello all

I just won an auction for a Honda Today transmission.
    It should be the one that contains the famed final gear.
    Apparently there are different models that will not work with the Beat transmission.

It will be taken apart and the gears will be shipped to me soon.
    I'll get a chance to see if I can lower my cruising RPM and get better fuel economy in the process.

You may find that the gear ratio is different, or slightly different in gear pressure diameter. The final driven gear and main shaft and gear would need to be exchanged if they fit. Again be careful of the roller bearings fit as these may be slightly different in size. After you assemble it together rotate the main shaft in all gears by hand and you will feel and hear if its any good. Do this as a precaution, as if you did it under engine load you may damage the gear cases beyond repair.

Gears and Cusco Type-RS LSD are being shipped
    Will let everyone know the results

Does anyone know the end play for the transmission countershaft / main shaft for the beat?
    The workshop manual doesn't seem to have any information
    Last edited by maiku; 24-07-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Any update Maiku? How did the swap go?

Quote Originally Posted by maiku View Post
    Does anyone know the end play for the transmission countershaft / main shaft for the beat?
    The workshop manual doesn't seem to have any information
    I don't know if you found this info in the end, I didn't see this message till now.
    You need the separate transmission manual for that information.

Its 0.10 to 0.17 mm for main shaft end float
    Last edited by Steve_M; 19-09-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

The TODAY gearbox ring gear diameter was too small. It's about an inch away from the countershaft so it can't be done. Unless there is a ring gear out there that is a larger diameter, it won't work

I did manage to get the LSD installed and a TODAY 5th gear, so it doesn't rev as much.

how do you find the 5th gear? what sort of rpm are you looking at for 70mph?
    very jealous of your dif! ... infact very jealous of your beat that drives - ours has been off the road since jan for oversized pistons etc.

The 5th gear really helps a lot.
    I think the around 70mph (112km) it's hovering between 5000-5500 rpm
    I don't travel that quickly usually on the freeways here, but it's great for the smaller highways at 90km/h, where it sits comfortably at 4000rpm (as compared to 80km/h)

It would have been better to make use of the TODAY gearbox as that would have helped a lot more, but for now the 5th gear works nicely.

I also haven't had a chance to test the LSD yet as i'm still breaking it in and told by the mechanic not to push it yet.
    Once I get the transmission oil changed i'll have a better idea how it drives.

Wow. Can't believe you actually pulled this off!

How long did it take you to install the 5th gear from the today? Did the trans go back nice together? Was it a PITA to take apart?

The TODAY final gear doesn't work, but the 5th gear works.
    Mechanic did everything. Said it was relatively easy just swapping the gear.
    Just make sure you replace the transmission with new seals. The ones I had were nearly 20 years old.

The TODAY final gear doesn't work, but the 5th gear works.
    Mechanic did everything. Said it was relatively easy just swapping the gear.
    Just make sure you replace the transmission with new seals. The ones I had were nearly 20 years old.
    I see you are van. Where did you get the work done and how many hours did they charge you?

I have a local mechanic that used to own a shop, but now works out of his garage. He does a lot of JDM cars, and he also rebuilt the beat engine.
    Most of the labour involved was continuously taking apart and re-assembling the transmission to try and get the TODAY final gear working.

He says he's done it so often that he can now remove the transmission in 45 minutes.
    I don't imagine it should take more than 3-4 hours.
    There are probably cheaper mechanics, but I pay extra since he knows what he's doing

I have a local mechanic that used to own a shop, but now works out of his garage. He does a lot of JDM cars, and he also rebuilt the beat engine.
    Most of the labour involved was continuously taking apart and re-assembling the transmission to try and get the TODAY final gear working.

He says he's done it so often that he can now remove the transmission in 45 minutes.
    I don't imagine it should take more than 3-4 hours.
    There are probably cheaper mechanics, but I pay extra since he knows what he's doing
    What mechanic did you use in Vancouver? I'm going to do my clutch one of these days, and when I pull the trans I may freight it down to Vancouver and have him install my 5th gear instead of getting the local shop to tear the trans apart.

Steve, do you have the part number for the 5th gear for the today by chance?

Thanks,

These were the part numbers I got for the 5th gear

23581-PZ6-000
    23461-PZ6-000

These were the part numbers I got for the 5th gear

23581-PZ6-000
    23461-PZ6-000
    Thanks. Why 2 part numbers? Is it not just one part?

Sorry, confused! Perhaps Steve can verify?

Quote Originally Posted by unclejemima View Post
    Thanks. Why 2 part numbers? Is it not just one part?

Sorry, confused! Perhaps Steve can verify?
    I think one is for the main shaft, the other for the counter-shaft. but i'm not 100%

It takes 2 cogs to make a gear, as Maiku says, one is the mainshaft gear and the other is the countershaft gear.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    It takes 2 cogs to make a gear, as Maiku says, one is the mainshaft gear and the other is the countershaft gear.
    Cool, thanks.

What are those parts worth OEM from Honda?

I think total cost was $80 CAD shipped?
    Pretty small and light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast