Thread: Glitchy Sterio

Glitchy Sterio

Hi guys, My radio works, my tape deck works, but my CD player just flashes the 6 cd icons on the RHS of the display, from time to time it may miraculiously work, but 99.999% of the time it is useless - is there a repair or a replacement part for it. I have bought a new cable and a replacement CD changer and the problem is unchanged - can anyone help
    ta ta from Ireland

Old thread, but since I don't see a reply...the audio control units in the beat have never been good if you have the CD changer or not. Mine is very finicky as well...makes you work for your music I have to turn mine on/off multiple times in order to get the cd player to work...but I can get it working after approx 2 minutes of turning it on/off! Very annoying.

The DIN size is very odd for these as well, so fitting a new deck is small amount of work, but worth it.

There was a company in Japan making a totally new unit that fit in place of the OEM unit...but it never went for sale from what I can find...plus it would have been BIG $$$ as it navigation as well, that probably only worked in Japan.

Best bet is to fit an after market, or find a good working deck from Japan auction...but those will be hard to find as well, as most at this age are toast.

Can't remember where I saw it (could be somewhere on here) but a guy replaced his broken Gathers unit with a marine unit suitable for boats which is smaller than a standard car radio which it needs to be to fit. Not sure if it had a CD changer command but I would have thought it is a possibility. My original works but I have worked out how to make it play. It seems to check all CDs by moving them in the changer one at a time in order to know they work then when I select the CD number button it takes a short while to check it and load. I press the CD button at this point on and off until the display shows 00:00 and if the pause (") shows too I know it will play. I then press the CD button which releases the pause. Oddly if I want to advance tracks (>) it moves up by 2, not 1 then I press the previous track (<) and it goes to the track I want. usually on pause then I press the CD and it plays. This sounds like quite a process but actually I can do it in a couple of seconds and what is 2 seconds if it does what I want? It will play all the tracks in succession if untouched. The rpt function doesnt work unless you want 2 tracks as it plays 2 then reverts as I mentioned earlier 1 track appears as 2 in its brain.

CD changers being old technology, you wouldn't expect to see any such capability on that neat little marine radio, or any other unit that has a USB input.

Checking each CD is what happens when the standby 12-volt connection is broken and you reconnect it. I'd check to make sure this isn't what is occuring with yours. And, (I always forget about this and have to check the manual), the "set" button changes whether the >> button advances one track or a whole CD. (Someone please correct me if it's a different button)

I probably should keep my fingers crossed as I write this, but I have found the CD changer and the Gathers head unit in general to be very reliable. I am careful about not inserting old cassettes though since they tend to get snarled or just slip through the rollers.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

T'was Obsessive who did it first, I followed suit but mounted into OEM fascia. as stated it has no CD input, does have iPod connection and USB.
    16gb memory stick- £16 if i remember?- thumb sized & hidden out of way, probably 40-50 albums, less than half full, therefore no need for Changer, more room for rubbish in boot
    only down side to USB is having to make bigger folders with each track numbered consecutively to play continuously

Ive got the original HU i ripped out which as far as i know is OK, another non-working unit in a million pieces because i was curious what was inside, the Sub amp minus speaker - good or not? - may take along to Kingsbury this w/e to make some space in the cupboards

Cheers Steve, will get it checked.

Wow, looks better than the original gathers unit! Top job mate.

Here's a pic of my setup (excuse the missing seats and panels)
    It uses a special center console to allow double-din headunits
    standard 1991-1995 honda radio adapter works for wiring aftermarket headunits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	2147