Thread: Honda Fit - any opinions??

Honda Fit - any opinions??

I'm thinking about buying a Honda Fit to replace our (goodie but oldie) Mazda Premacy. Leaning toward a RS, but not strongly. Not impressed by the Fit Hybrid. What is life with a CVT like? Any experience or opinions from Beaties will be highly valued.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

I would stay away from used CVT Fits, at least the first generation. The gearbox develops a shudder. It can be repaired with the upgraded factory clutch pack however.
    Don't expect to burn anyone off from the lights though as the ECU feeds engine power to the trans on take off very gently to safe guard it. Once your moving though it has alot of torque benefits, quite authoritative in fact.
    Good choice if your main priority is getting decent fuel economy in stop/ start driving conditions, but if you prefer the fastest version I would go the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatman View Post
    I would stay away from used CVT Fits, at least the first generation. The gearbox develops a shudder. It can be repaired with the upgraded factory clutch pack however.
    Don't expect to burn anyone off from the lights though as the ECU feeds engine power to the trans on take off very gently to safe guard it. Once your moving though it has alot of torque benefits, quite authoritative in fact.
    Good choice if your main priority is getting decent fuel economy in stop/ start driving conditions, but if you prefer the fastest version I would go the manual.
    Thanks - good information! There aren't many used ones with manual around but I suspect we could get a good deal on a new one. Leaning that way because the 2012 got some better sound insulation too. It's for the wife, who has a 50-mile RT (mostly expressway) commute but enjoys driving a stick. I've tested the CVT and the 6-speed, both OK but not mindblowing, which leaves the regular 5MT but that's only available in the 1.3 liter model over here, I think.

Past Hondas:

Hi I had a 2004 fit(Jazz here in UK) CVT and was faultless. I had a Jag X-Type for a year which had a severe problem with the auto box which I had to get rid of as it was appalling. Had Hondas since 1990, 16vs, Prelude, vtecs, S2000s etc and at a certain age thought I would treat myself and unwisely left Honda for the Jaguar. In desperation dropped in at my Honda dealer for a test drive in a CVT. Smooth, easy and economical and instantly ordered one. Lost 1000s on the jag, oh well! Yes the CVT revs as you sprint but it is so smooth and easy. Changed it in '07 for another and it too has been faultless. Friends who have 'luxury' cars who ride in it say 'I could'nt detect it changing gear, it is so smooth!' Of course it doesn't change at all unless you manually use the paddles on 7 speed mode and you can induce a step, though not a change. My Honda sales rep said it is the best gearbox Honda make. I was appalled they used an ishift on the next generation Jazz and was advised to avoid. I would say that the paddles are great but in reality I will only play with them on the odd occasion. 99% of the time it is full auto and I just point it and use my right foot. If I want to 'change the gears' I can, but I don't. Because some winters are bad here I decided to get an HRV CVT to use when needed. I have had this 3 years, have a set of rims with winter tyres which I have fitted in Nov-Mar and it is incredible. In deep snow it amazes me, just select 'L' and the 4WD will kick in when it needs it and my journeys are completed. The CVT is different on this to the Jazz and it isn't as swift to 'kick down' as it revs first to provide the match for the speed to increase. (but it is a 4WD, not really a sprinter and it is 12 now so it was an early incarnation of a CVT) Now honda have reverted to the Jazz CVT I might consider replacing it but I can't fault it and I why should I change. I have my Beat which actually is 'my dream car' so I seem to have all bases covered. Bring on the deep snow, high fuel costs and sunshine and I can choose a car to suit. To help you make up your mind about a Jazz (Fitt) CVT, if Honda no longer made it I would be devastated, no exageration. Yes, it revs when you demand a spurt of speed, but the way it does it makes up easily for it. I know what it does and how it will respond and this results is safe, easy driving. The latest equivalent Jazz CVT to mine has a cruise control which I would like as it matches so well with an auto. (cant see the point on manuals). Trust me I don't work for Honda and I am impartial, but several friends have suddenly bought Hondas after getting lifts from me. My father always said the first thing you should think about when you buy a new car is selling it. The logic being the residual value it commands. Here there are cheaper equivalents but if I look at same age older ones the Jazz's % value compared to new is far, far better than other makers. I don't think I have been lucky with my Hondas or unlucky with the Jaguar, I think it is a normal outcome. Hope it helps....

Thanks for the excellent info gymm. Reckon I'll be searching the auctions when I get back from the States next month. I think your father had excellent advice, and I've always believed that as well. Unfortunately here in Japan the private used car market is almost non-existent and most people either go for a trade-in or take a total loss - very weird.

Not surprisingly however is that the model lineup seems different here. The CVT is available on all models in the range but the 4wd models get a different final drive and ratios. Don't think the paddle is available anymore, but thanks for reminding me that one of the wife's priorities is cruise control. (Otherwise easy to please, she also thinks "engine stop" is cool but that exists only on the hybrid.)

Past Hondas:

Glad to assist. I agree the model line ups are very different. I was amazed onetime when I actually read a model handbook and it showed info for all kinds of models and climates, even detailing service intervals for cars used in very dusty terrains. Very thorough! I have rented a few Smarts in Spain with stop/start and whilst the (mercedes) gearbox is attrocious the stop/start worked well. Once you become confident with it you suddenly realise how often the car is stationary. Interesting about the used car market in Japan. Not everyone wants a trade-in and with this there is the chance the value given is below what it should be. Strangely there is quite a big scene here with importing from Japan as the steering wheel is on the right here too. Makes the demand stronger and also allows us to get cars not offered here (Beat for one). Hope you are able to find the model your wife likes. Please let us know how you get on. Regards.