Thread: Side intake vents

Side intake vents

Now, I'm not talking about the externally mounted aftermarket lip extensions to the body side vents but the aftermarket internally mounted scoops designed to channel the air into the engine bay.
    I've come to the conclusion that these are a must have for every Beat, not so much because of cooling, more so because its the only way to stop vast quantities of rain water being ingested into the body of the car which then rusts out the sills ( as a few have found out already).
    Now I originally came across this product through the Beat links page, problem is now I realise I need them I can't for the life of me find them anywhere!
    Any help appreciated.

Would you consider making you own set from fiberglass? Back when I had the initial engine, I made a cooling duct. Pics and text can be found if you seach for "Engine Compartment Blower".

Be advised that the RH inlet appears to purge the gasoline tank area from possible fumes and that the LH inlet provides adequate free air for the intake.

No, not after seeing yours. I wouldn't want to embarrass myself!

Nice job, very "Porsche". Unfortunately I don't possess the correct skill set to do that, was hoping to let my money do the work in this instance.
    It's a pretty tricky situation with the odd shapes and the way the vents connect. Was looking forward to something "off the shelves".

Seems the chassis is assymetrical in this area. That RH vent annoys the hell out of me that the opening to the engine bay is so much smaller then the left and then they stuffed a fuel tank in it rendering it useless for anything other then its original purpose. I half think its there just so the fuel tank fits and the other half of me thinks its to relieve heat build up round the tank. To scared to enlarge the hole because I think it needs the material to match the strength of the other side. Even though the other side has a much larger opening it has extra sheet metal around it that is missing from the right.

Such a wasted opportunity, could have been used to mount an oil cooler if it were a bit bigger.

Meanwhile the external vent is still channeling rain water into the body, not Honda's finest design!

This may sound obvious but if your concern is rust then make sure any drainage holes are clear to let the water out and spray a can (or two) of rust proofer in.

Its not the water going in the side vents thats the problem, its the mud and dirt that goes with it that then build up behind the 1/4 panel and stays damp against the metal work.

Dont forget Beat was designed for Japan Market, where corrosion is not a problem.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Yeah, I found some stuff on a Japanese blog that is worth being concerned about.

Like you say they have a more favourable climate and even so this guy had considerable rust on structually the most important part of the car. The way the sheet metal merges together the water can't be drained out effectively

I plan on applying some underbody sealent in there but the best fix will be to divert the air straight into the engine bay avoiding in body contamination, plus the vents would actually work much better at what they were intended for, cooloing the engine bay.

A little off topic: for additional engine compartment cooling, consider the following: an air diffuser at the bottom of the firewall to direct air up into the engine compartment. I have one that allmost spans the width of the underbody. I needed the diffuser along with 2 thermo-controlled fans for the Hayabusa.

Unable to upload a pic at this time. Simply put, imagine a strip of aluminum 4 inch long x 75% width of car. Roll the strip so the side view looks like a smile (60 degrees). Attach approx. 1 inch max below the floorpan so the air is directed at the exhaust header.

Might be wise to add a bit of mesh along the front edge to stop it directing dried leaves etc at the exhaust header. Alternatively I understand that exhaust wrap round the header/downpipe makes quite a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    Its not the water going in the side vents thats the problem, its the mud and dirt that goes with it that then build up behind the 1/4 panel and stays damp against the metal work.

Dont forget Beat was designed for Japan Market, where corrosion is not a problem.
    While we're at it front mudflaps fill up with mud and if you remove the front wing you will probably find the space between it and the front end of the sill full of it as well.

mine wasn't mud but still had plenty of rubbish in there.....