Thread: Gathers audio help please

Gathers audio help please

Happy New Year!
    I am sure someone here can help.... Took the Beat out this morning and perhaps I had the music a bit too loud though I reckon it was normal but after about 5 mins the right speakers (dash and door) stopped. Sound now only from all the left ones. Same with CD, tape and radio so I suspect something has blown/failed. Checked the balance setting and it goes silent if I boost the right level. What can I check? Not keen to replace it really.. Thanks, John

The fact you have neither dash or door speakers I doubt it's just blown speakers. Most likely the unit has died. I had a 40w unit fail in the same way. Clarion UK used to be able to repair beat units, whether they still can I don't know. Probably like Beat ECUs some components/capacitors have a life span, then fail.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Thanks, I suspect it's a failure internally. 21+ yrs is pretty good going for a unit.

I imagine you have lost a channel on the power amp. If you take the radio out, they are clamped to the heat sink on the back. A car audio place may be able to replace them for you. If you have no luck, I'd be happy to have a go at it, I think I still have a 12v bench supply to test it with (and a radio loom!)

Good luck.

PW

Thanks and I appreciate your offer of help and your advice. I will get my mate who's a Honda mechanic to investigate what you suggest. I've discovered over the years just what he is able to do once given a few ideas to work on. Fingers crossed! I see you are the administrator and tried to send you a direct message but couldn't. Can you tell me how to donate to the site (paypal) as it is a superb facility you provide for us all. Great!!! Also, how do you upload pictures? Cheers, John
    Last edited by gymm; 02-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.