Thread: Dodgy Earth?

Dodgy Earth?

I've been having some strange problems recently. Every so often the radio 'pop's and the dash goes dead for a second or so then everything goes back to normal. I'm fairly sure it's down to a poor earth connection somewhere. I've cleaned up all the obvious ones in the engine bay and under the bonnet, but I'm sure I must have missed one (at least). Does anyone know if there is a earth connection, for the loom, behind the dash? and if so where?
    I really don't want to pull the dash out just on a 'fact finding mission' so if anyone knows, your help would be appreciated

If there is one behind the dash, pretty certain there will be, no substitute for looking i'm afraid...just looked through my pics and nothing obvious jumps out.
    best guess? steering column/fuse box area?

there may also be one near the handbrake and possibly the ECU as well?

When you say "the dash goes dead" does this include the air con and the instrument cluster, or just the stereo?

When my speedo started behaving erratically, symptoms similar to loss of contact or bad earth, I found that replacing the fuses in the box by your right foot effected a perfect and lasting cure. I must add that I did not find any blown fuses, so probably this is where the bad contact was. Fuses are cheap and easy enough to replace. Try it before getting too involved and let us know.

Obsessive - It's the whole instrument cluster, tacho and speedo drop to zero.

I'll try changing the fuses today, see if that does the trick

There is an earthing point in front of the gearstick somewhere. I can't remember how far forwards it is though; I think it's just under the Gather's unit.

You might be able to get at it by removing the centre trim round the gearstick otherwise you'll have to get the gathers unit out, which is a pain to get back in. I have a rough picture but you it's hard to see and I don't have the car with me atm.

(Sorry for the poor quality, but I don't have anything better. Also, that may not be the exact location.)
    Last edited by Ending Credits; 06-05-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Fuses replaced this afternoon then a 100 mile drive home - not a hint of a problem Thanks guys
    (btw there is no chassis earth by the ecu)

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was going to say that it is unlikely to be a bad earth at the stereo, as even with no earth wire the stereo will still be connected to the chassis as it is bolted in.

I've run a thicker earth cable from my battery to both the chassis and engine. Honda do like to use thin cables!

Anyway, it sounds like you have fixed it :-) It's not uncommon for a fuse that looks OK to be iffy! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.