Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceHarding View Post
With reference to "burning rubber" the key issue here is torque not power. I understand electric motors generate maximum torque at zero rpm so it should step off the line pretty fast. It would appear that the Smart Fortwo is now available with electric power in parts of America. Clearly time will tell as to whether it will be sold in the UK and on what terms, however this does open up the possibility in the longer term of getting a complete "Kit" of bits from a write off.
Hi LawrenceHarding

Burning rubber should not be a problem in the "Electro Beat" as I had to retain the gearbox much to my initial dismay, however it does help with reverse, boosts my top speed in 5th (slightly) and will burn rubber easily in 1st, however I had better be careful not to blow the transmission as it is 3 times over specification! easy does it ;-) drifting should be fun though, RWD mid "motor" drifttastic ;-) I am guessing it should be around 150BHP equivalent however I understand that EV's are measured in HP not BHP, not sure I get this at the mo but it will all come eventually (I hope) AFAIK Voltage is equivalent to speed, current is equivalent to torque.

I have heard of the EV smart for 2 but not seen one as yet, EV's need to be exiting to get peoples interest, the Leaf/ZE/IMIEV are just not doing it for me, the Tesla however does, but the price does not :-(

Thanks for listening

Graham (Crazy Fool)