Thread: Storing beat for a few years...

Storing beat for a few years...

Got to park the beat for a year at least due to moving away for a year. Any tips before I park it?

Should I drain the tank, or fill it full? (Is there an easy way to drain the tank anyhow?) Is the tank plastic or steel?

What about a few shots of fogging oil. Will this wreck the fuel injection? Will I have to replace the plugs when i fire it back up later on?

Let me know what you guys suggest. I will be parked in heated garage, so that is good.

Thanksl

I'd fill the tank with high octane (least chance of there being any Ethanol). A full tank gives the minimum surface area available for evaporation of the more volatile fuel components whilst maximising the volume. Having said that, when I lay up a bike for winter it's often with a partial tank and I haven't drained the float bowls. I generally don't have much trouble firing them up again, at most I might have to blow the jets through. No really an issue with EFI.

The Americans have long had quite high alcohol levels in fuel and fuel stabilisers available for long lay-ups. Thes products are now being sold in the UK.