Thread: completely baffeled

completely baffeled

Ill start at the beginning so i dont leave anything out that might help , a few weeks back i turned my AC on to see if it was working , i let it run for approx 10 to 15 mins and got no cold air , i pulled in to park and turned the aircon off and then turned the keys to stop engine , but the car seemed to die before i actually turned the keys fully ,so i immediately tried to restart it , the car does everything it should do , except start !! ,im not saying the AC thing had anything to with the issue but thought it worth mentioning . i got it towed to my mechanics who have checked all the obvious to no avail , we swapped over a known good ecu and have the same issue , now here is the odd thing when we check for error codes the light just stays on and gives no codes , so we are stumped and not sure where to go next , and help and ideas much appreciated .

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    now here is the odd thing when we check for error codes the light just stays on and gives no codes.
    That's what it's supposed to do when there are no code. Light on with service connector bridged is for ignition timing checking.

It's back to basics really. What's the engine not got? Fuel? Spark? Air?

No fuel - no pressure (pump not working) pump itself, relay.
    No spark - coil, igniter, distributor cap, plugs.
    No air - engine timing sequence / compressions.

Only thing I can think of related to A/c related issues was A/C compressor blows horn/brake light fuse, but nothing to cause none start.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    That's what it's supposed to do when there are no code. Light on with service connector bridged is for ignition timing checking.

It's back to basics really. What's the engine not got? Fuel? Spark? Air?

No fuel - no pressure (pump not working) pump itself, relay.
    No spark - coil, igniter, distributor cap, plugs.
    No air - engine timing sequence / compressions.

Only thing I can think of related to A/c related issues was A/C compressor blows horn/brake light fuse, but nothing to cause none start.
    Gymm pm'd about the fuel pump relay , so I'll let the lads know to check it .do you mean the light staying on indicates an ignition problem
    Last edited by beecee; 08-10-2013 at 08:15 PM.

No, no problem, its just showing you have put ECU into ignition timing setting mode by bridging the service connector.
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Ah ok , thanks .

Long story short ,as everything mentioned to check here and on the HONDA CRX forum has been double checked we are back looking at the ECU , cant be confident that the one we swapped in was good , problem is finding another Beat owner over here to try my ECU in their car or vise versa .

BRIAN

Bit of a long shot this, but I had a similar problem with my last Beat on the day I sold it. Happy buyer drove off and pulled into a cafe just down the road to get some breakfast came out and had the same symptoms as you - I got a phone call. Did all the checks you've done and found nothing, then, just as we were about to give up, it fired up completely normally. Turned out to be a loose connection to one of the relays under the dashboard, I'm afraid I can't remember which one.

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    Long story short ,as everything mentioned to check here and on the HONDA CRX forum has been double checked we are back looking at the ECU , cant be confident that the one we swapped in was good , problem is finding another Beat owner over here to try my ECU in their car or vise versa .

BRIAN
    Of all the Beats/Hondas I have looked at, ive never had a Beat not starting due to an ECU problem, its always been either Fuel, Ignition or timing related.

E.g. Main relay. Fuel pump. Distributor sensors. Distributor cap. Cambelt related (snapped/jumped/distributor drive)

ECU faults have normally just caused poor running, mainly due to over fueling.

As I said before back to basics. Whats the engine not got? Fuel? Spark? Air? or Timing?
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

I spoke to the mechanics this morning , it's getting fuel spark and air , the dizzy is in good condition , the relays have been checked too , as has the timing , again it's doing everything it should except actually start , I spoke to the person who lent the ECU to check and it turns out his beat. Had starting issues ,but he feels they ware not ECU related , but we still can't be sure now that his ECU is good , which leaves me back looking to try mine in another Beat etc .