Thread: Strange problem

Strange problem

My Beat died on me to day , we thought it was the ecu so swapped over a known good one , same problem still there ( i left this ecu in the car ) , so we looked at the coil pack as this is what was wrong the last time , again swapped over a known good one , same problem , so we realized it was the actual dizzy that was dead , luckily i had a brand new one available to me so we swapped it over , checked the timing etc and fired it up , started 1st time and ticked over and idled perfect : result !!!
    But only after i put everything back together did we notice the the engine check light is staying on , it goes off at 1st turn of the key ,but when you start the engine it comes on after a few seconds .... we connected the negative battery terminal to the positive for 20 seconds hoping this would clear any faults , no joy . we then swapped my original ecu back in just in case , no joy . I drove the car 500 yards and it drives perfect .
    Any ideas folks ??

Read what code you have, I expect it's code 9, due to incorrect timing.

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthr...ode-diagnostic

I doult you have actually ever found the true cause of your original problem, what with your haphazard method of diagnosis!!
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Yup correct again Steve , timing was out and all is sorted now , thanks as ever. .