Looking good !
Where about in the country are you ?
not much done over the weekend, still awaiting the return of the head before i build up the engine. figured out a way to dye the carpet, just waiting on products!
Not a huge amount done this week, still awaiting the head. a few more bits have turned up.
firstly, managed to fit the lightweight wing mirrors -
secondly, made a new air filter base plate for an ITG air filter i had, managed to just squeeze it onto footprint of the stock airbox mount. i shaped the flat metal to follow the contour of the stock intakes so should flow quite well
also managed to dye the carpet, forgot to take pictures but i'll be refitting the interior tonight so will remember then!
hopefully the head comes back soon and i can finish off the engine ready to be put back in.
managed to fit in 17 hours Saturday, almost back in the game!
collected the head last week, so got into the garage at 7am to make a start.
as the exhaust heat shields didn't come off in one piece i figured it'd be a lot less hassle to wrap the manifold instead of trying to repair them. so that was the first task -
then onto getting the head back on and everything timed, i'd marked everything before taking it off but it was only when i came to putting it back together i noticed i'd marked the washer on the crank pulley which is free to rotate! oops. anyway, there's a very helpful guide in the depths of this forum that had all the information i needed + more
i'd just managed to get the gearbox back on when Mobius came to collect my gathers head unit
once he'd left it was full steam ahead on getting the engine back in, didn't get many pictures but it went in fairly easily
once it was on all 4 mounts i figured i'd get it back on 4 wheels so at least it was mobile
think it was about 10pm at this point in time, decided to plow on and get the engine plumbed back in, so i carried on until about 1am until it was all done.
needed a few bits, namely the dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads had all seen better days, the rotor arm and dizzy cap were both in stock at honda, the leads however are NLA. i found a place that were willing to make me a set. everything should arrive wednesday, i still need to refit the exhaust, but i need to weld the cat as one of the studs had sheared. looking good for having it back on the road by the end of the weekend i think
few more bits done the last fortnight!
Firstly, the rear arches looked a little tight, so i rolled the rear arches, arch roller was definitely not designed for such a small diameter, nor the strange arch shape. improvised a little and managed to get a decent roll without cracking anything -
to my surprise the passenger side seat area is a smidge smaller than the drivers side, so instead of doing the sensible thing and finding seats that fitted, i cut a small hole in the door card and filled it with foam, sort of almost factory looking, but not quite -
engine all back together, had a bit of difficulty finding some plug leads, the rest was all fairly straight forward, ended up getting a custom set next day -
fitted the new battery too -
at this point we were about ready to get it started. cranked it over without HT lead until i got oil pressure, got it in seconds, great. plugged the lead back in to start it.....nothing......undone the return line hose, ignition on, fuel leaked every. had fuel. tested spark on each cylinder. got spark. turned it over again....backfiring and a bit of black smoke....
came back to it a day later armed with a few more facts mostly from the archives on here, and a can of easy start, my first guess was a timing issue, so bridged the service connector, cranked it with a timing light pointed at the flywheel.....nothing, no mark to be seen.
randomly moved plug leads round....cranked it....managed to get it firing on 1 cylinder....moved them round again....got it firing on all cylinders but really rough. moved the dizzy cap to it's furthest extremity and got it running "normal"!
success! still not sure what is/was the matter with it, i put the plug leads back to their original position and moved the dizzy round a cog at a time until i got to the right static timing range. think it's about 90 degrees out from where it should be? not entirely sure why but it works i guess!
all that was left to do was to set the ride height and give it a scrub -
hopefully off for a cage at the end of this month once racing season is underway and my friend has a bit of spare time. aside from that i just want to enjoy it and focus on other projects this summer. there's a widebody kit floating around for sale that i was pondering but the paint came up pretty well so not sure i fancy cutting it up, at least not this year anyway!
Great to see it back on it's wheels! Looking really good. Cheers for the Gathers. All working fine now after a change of fuses. (Serious wheel envy)
still need to make a dash blank actually, and the check light is on so need to look at that. i just set the camber in the carpark at work, getting it tracked next week! interior needs a clean and it'll need an oil change again in a week or two. that's pretty much everything left!