Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Beat it............ A new one

Just Beat it............ A new one

Initially saw this on gumtree and after getting in contact with the owner it was on ebay where someone had won it but hadn't made contact for over a week then when they did show up picking lots of small faults up trying to knock the price down which was already cheap for a Beat imo.

Bit of background history imported 2003, cat c write off in 2011 due to someone in a bigger car opening their door into the little beats rear quarter on the driver side resultant damage about the size of an A5 sheet of paper improperly valued car meant it was written off. So it is very very important you get agreed value for your car insurance wise if possible imo anyway back to the car had the car picked up from Sundbury on Thames Surrey and delivered to Oswestry, Shropshire by my friend Matt who runs Bournemouth 24hr Recoveries.

Had a few hours on it already and just basically took the seats out hoovered everything underneath, hoovered the seats and replaced a few missing screws. From initial impressions I will need 2 new mirrors, a new hood or a good second hand one possibly a new instrument cluster as mine seems to have the sticky rev needle problem, driver side front caliper is sticky so going to upgrade to 240mm civic brakes. Bodywork is so so need to sort the arches out as both sides have a tiny amount starting to come through but that will be a sand down rust treat and paint job, will need a new drivers door as it has rotted through on the bottom somehow and the paint is pretty bad all round looks ok in pics but in person it's bad but I am thinking of wrapping or getting some paint in and doing the whole car myself a different colour.
    Last edited by Gavin; 06-07-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Few pics to start off with

Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Clocks are still in KM, a service wouldn't go amiss tbh, aircon just about still works, alloy wheels if anyone is interested are for sale to 14s rear 13s front.

Going to look for more bits for myself tonight but won't be till end of this month start of August before I put the order in.
    Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Decided to change insurance over and tax the car yesterday, rushed around to get everything sorted in typical fashion when I was ready to go the car wouldn't start immediate thoughts turned to dodgy relay or ecu changed both and still did it. Bit stumped at this point as there was fuel in the car but stuck fresh fuel and some cleaner through it and boom started first time and ran well.

Went to visit a mate who'd never seen one before loves this now, offered to lower the car for me so looks bit better now but will take another step when wheels show up. First impressions after not driving one for a few years are it isn't as slow as similar powered cars I've had recently (60bhp 1.1 106, 64bhp 1.3 Logo) the noise is very addictive and in all honesty it does get up to speed well enough.

Few issues to sort out are sticky rev counter, wire up fog light to one of the reverse lights and repaint said light so rear is tidier are the ones that come to mind right away. Will need 2 new mirrors, new hood and fit new brake setup but they will come in the next few weeks.

Oh since I've got an ecu spare (the original one) that although still runs the car looks to have had questionable repairs in the past as you can see damage on the board (pics in the week) will be donating it's life towards becoming a standalone ecu. Will mean that when I eventually get the exhaust system sorted out I can get working on a new type of inlet trumpet / funnel.

Oh I am loving the fact it costs about £25 ish to fill!
    Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Hi Gavin,
    I solved my fog light problem by purchasing two slim LED fog light strips from ebay that with a slight trim fitted nicely into the rear bumper slots. I'll take a photo and post it for all to see. Nice and bright and really unobtrusive.

So 262mm brake conversion, coilovers and new wheels have shown up. Colour won't be to everyone's liking but since I am plasti dipping the car pearl white I think it will suit nicely

Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Still got a few things to come from Japan namely new mirrors, new driver side vent, new speedometer, new hood plus bolts and side clips eta for that lot at a guess is going to be 2 weeks ish, hopefully be ok to use in next week or so regardless.

Got tyres sorted and wheels fitted rear no problems but fronts needed spacing by 8mm to clear will get some proper 10mm hubcentrics when I can. Excuse the red bits still work in progress sorting the bodywork out ready for plasti dip

Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Probably get 55 profile tyres in the future unless I go mad on spacers and get 195 45 14s on it, otherwise that's it until rest of bits show up just jumping sisters puma in this pic, oh the d16z6 logo is for sale to

Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:17 PM.

looking awesome

Coming along nicely, Gavin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_beat View Post
    looking awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by gymm View Post
    Coming along nicely, Gavin!!!

Cheers Both, going to be prepping the bodywork most of the next few days bumpers and front wings are off to be sprayed off car

It's going to look fab. Inspiring me to crack on with mine.

what brake conversion you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    It's going to look fab. Inspiring me to crack on with mine.
    Cheers, yours will no doubt be good since you've owned it before the tlc should see it right

Quote Originally Posted by Seventynine View Post
    what brake conversion you running?
    Hey, going to test fitting 262mm civic brakes tomorrow should be a straight fit if not 240s should be ok

Change of plan on the plasti dip decided its the work of the devil lol so this is a taste of things to come

Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:18 PM.

thanks, keen to see how you get on

I'll let you all know about the brakes in a bit, the caliper bolt hole spacing is the same just need to see how everything mounts up

Getting there slowly but surely
    Last edited by Gavin; 09-05-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Well impressed!

spent 45min doing more wet and dry sanding on the painted side so it is super smoother than it was. Now that's done can see where most of the annoying little dings are which will get filled in think this is the method I will use for the whole car get it one colour roughly then work through the dings then more paint.

Be lucky to be at the meet tbh even though it is ages away need to hope over next few weeks that plenty of sun

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast