Thread: Bit of help required

Bit of help required

Hey everyone sorry about the mass amount of threads recently

Just need bit of help on a few things, sticky rev counter what usually is the cause of this? is it just a case of solder joints and capacitors again? Also anyway of converting to mph properly or is it just easy case of new dials with the correct mph face?

Lastly how many miles / kms do you get per tank going off the tacho?

I get about 200 kms per tank in average town driving, maybe more like 160 if using a/c most of the time like nowadays. The usual fillup is 15 litres. 13 kms per litre is pretty sucky consumption for a kei car but these cars inspire hard driving. By comparison (ie same driver, same roads) I average 13 with my Nissan Note which is 1.5 litres but has a CVT and I rarely see over 3000 rpm.
    Last edited by steveinjapan; 15-07-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

Not to bad tbh I mean I only put half a 5 litre Jerry can plus £17 odd in before it was full drove it quite hard on Saturday to and it's barely moved

320km (200 miles) to a tank which is about 20l (£25)

Blimey, steveinjapan, you should get it seen to - must be running way too rich. What lambda reading does it get in the emissions test as part of the MOT? I typically get about 330km per tank, I think my record is about 390 pootling along motorway.

running rich?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Blimey, steveinjapan, you should get it seen to - must be running way too rich. What lambda reading does it get in the emissions test as part of the MOT? I typically get about 330km per tank, I think my record is about 390 pootling along motorway.
    That raises an interesting question - is there any way to alter the mixture? I don't see any of the usual signs of richness like hesitation or sooty exhaust. My driving is all stop-n-go short trips around town, and the a/c gets a lot of use. (The lambda doesn't get reported in the "MOT" here. It must be within limits though.)

Past Hondas:
    1960 125cc Honda Benly CB92R
    1964 305cc Super Hawk CB77, the only vehicle I have ever bought new in my life!
    Honda CB160, roadraced as 175cc 1967-1970.
    Honda Lawnmower, bought used in 2003, caught fire and melted in 2005.

the map controls the mixture which should be set up fairly optimum for the car, it's not like carbs where you can just twist a screw and all is right with the world.

if the car is running rich it means that an input to the ECU isn't working as it should, so that will need fixing, changing the mixture (if it could be done) would be fixing a problem with another problem, it's better just to fix the first problem

easiest way to tell if it's running rich (and it's not a fuel leak or something) is to pull the plugs out and check the colour, you should see a nice dark brown colour, black is rich and white is usually lean

Back in the 70s I had a car with a 583cc aircooled twin engine. The fuel consumption on my regular trip to and from work could be anything from below 30 to over 50 mpg depending on driving style.