Thread: Check engine Light code 9

Check engine Light code 9

Hi All,

Ive read the other threads about the check engine code 9. Cant seem to find the answer to my problem.

I just bought my second Beat.
    The car is original and unmodified.

I bought the car from a friend. When I bought the car, the car wouldnt idle properly and drives rough.
    Since the car has been sitting in my friends garage for 2 years, I decided to replace a few parts to begin with.
    I first replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs, problem still existed. Then I replaced the distributor, same result.
    I then opened the ecu for a check and found out one of the caps were leaking and there are burnt stains in a couple places in the ECU.

I bought a used ECU and plugged it into the car. The car started fine and drove fine, but the engine light was on. Its a code 9. So I checked the distributor alignment and ignition timing. Tried it out today again and the engine light is still on. Ive also replaced the Cyl 1 sensor.

Im kinda stuck now. Any advice? Is it possible that the ECU I bought is also faulty? Whats next to check?

Theres another weird problem with the used ECU I bought. The AC doesnt work. I plugged in the original ECU and the AC worked right away.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cliov6 View Post
    Im kinda stuck now. Any advice? Is it possible that the ECU I bought is also faulty? Whats next to check?

Theres another weird problem with the used ECU I bought. The AC doesnt work. I plugged in the original ECU and the AC worked right away.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    The earth route for the compressor relay passes through the ECU, So I would say that ECU is knackered.

If your confident that the timing is correct, then I would check the Cyl sensor circuit back to the ECU.

Wiring diagram here
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!
    Now in the Lotus position.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    The earth route for the compressor relay passes through the ECU, So I would say that ECU is knackered.

If your confident that the timing is correct, then I would check the Cyl sensor circuit back to the ECU.

Wiring diagram here
    Hi,

I went back to the guy that sold me the ECU, he gave me another ECU to try on my car. The ECU was tested on his car with no Check engine light on and AC working. So hopefully this eliminates that its still an ECU problem.

Im not 100% confident that the timing is correct. Especially after reading the other threads about the engine code 9. Correct me if I'm wrong. But the 3 main issues to check for are cam timing, distributor alignment and ignition timing. I assume that its the same procedure as every other car? If thats the case, then the mechanic Im using should be capable, unless its a very tricky procedure thats only with the Beat.

Ive saved the link for the ignition timing to show the mechanic, but I cant seem to find the link for instructions on distributor alignment and cam timing. Can you please provide a link?

By checking the Cyl sensor circuit, what do you mean? I'll talk to my mechanic about it.

Sorry for my ignorance, but Im not familiar with mechanics, I just try to understand what I read here and communicate it to my mechanic.

Cheers.

Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cliov6 View Post
    By checking the Cyl sensor circuit, what do you mean? I'll talk to my mechanic about it.
    The Cyl sensor has 2 wires between sensor and ECU. (Orange and White)

Check continuity of these wires between sensor and ECU via Engine harness and body harness, checking for open circuit or short to ground.

Cyl sensor resistance is 700 to 1000 ohms.

Timing and alignment info here http://www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/page1.html
    Steve M

Its all gone Norfolk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    The Cyl sensor has 2 wires between sensor and ECU. (Orange and White)

Check continuity of these wires between sensor and ECU via Engine harness and body harness, checking for open circuit or short to ground.

Cyl sensor resistance is 700 to 1000 ohms.

Timing and alignment info here http://www.manser42.freeserve.co.uk/page1.html
    Thanks. I'll check.
    Bad news. Plugged in another ecu that was tested on another beat. Engine light Is constantly on. Doesn't go off after a couple seconds when key turned to ign on.
    And car doesn't rev past 3,000.

Would it be a harness problem?